I need ideas to keep vehicles off my lawn

Page 1 of 3

I am amazed at the lack of respect of other people's property!!
Ok, now that that's off my chest, here's the problem. I have a strip of lawn between the sidewalk and the street. I have a nice lush St. Augustine lawn (about the only one on the street). My neighbor has mostly dirt and weeds. When someone comes to visit them, they drive through and park on my strip of lawn. Last year they nearly destroyed half of that area. Talking to them does not work - "It's grass, so what?" - is what I get.
I would like to put something in that strip that deters people from parking on it, while at the same time does not impede lawn maint. too much. I've seen rocks placed there but that adds a good bit of trimmer time.
Any ideas?

16d nails and a 2x4. Bury it nail points up with the nails exposed about 1/2". done.
--
Steve Barker

"TC" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 13:31:27 -0800, Eigenvector wrote:

fast track is not even fast enough. With the type of people that park their cars on a lawn, when they see those nails you can bet one of their kids will 'trip' and land on them.
That, or do some other physical or body damage at the neighbor's house. Lawn rippers very often don't get the idea (well, they already didn't). So, more damage is likely to lead to revenge, not improved behaviour.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

If they're driving through, rocks along one side should be enough to stop them without requiring you to trim along the other three sides.
OH, another option is a very big boulder on the edge of the property line.
--
Steve Barker

"TC" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:36:33 -0600, "Steve Barker"
Wonder if a small decorative fense would be faster to put up. Oh and a 24/7 camera to record any damage. ;)
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

I put up a few reflectors. They're on about 20 inch fiberglass sticks. Saved me this winter from snowplow skimming part of my lawn. During summer it keeps people away. They only cost ~$2 each.
Frank

So plant flowers there. Every spring, you can get flowers at K-Mart for cheap. That at least will remove the "it's only grass, so what?" rationale. And they look nice, too.
A row of bricks, set into the ground diagonally so as to leave a sawtooth edge clearly visible above ground, like this /\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\, should be a good deterrent to driving there, and looks reasonably decorative as well.
If that doesn't help, you have to play hardball.
If there's a car parked on your property without your permission, first ask the owner to move it (if you can find him). Next, ask the police to have it towed.
After a couple of times of visitor's cars being towed away from your grass, your neighbor is going to start telling his buddies "Don't park in front of the house next door, because the guy who lives there is a real jerk."
You won't have people parking there any more. But you also won't have a friendly relationship with your neighbor any more, either. And if you don't anyway, this will make it worse. Your call.

Or you could try a sign that says something like NO PARKING WARNING! CONCEALED TIRE SPIKES
Just the sign. No spikes. But if you saw a sign like that, would you take the chance?
--
Regards,
clipped

Get a building permit first :o)
On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 17:42:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Keep a log of every license plate and when it parks there, and every time you talk to someone and everything you say to him, and everything he says back to you.
Especially like if you tell him the consequences, like it's going to be towed (check with the police first to make sure you can get this done. you don't want to be paper tiger) And especially if he says he will move it, and doesn't or only does when he leaves.
Make the log at the time, although maybe out of sight of the people driving the cars.

No, not me.
On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 17:42:35 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

I have a neighbor that has next to them a small building for municipal power with a little driveway there. Visitors routinely part in that driveway. They even are so nice as to back up into the driveway right in front of the sign that says 'no parking'. Electrical workers come there all hours of the day and night. Cars are towed at least 1 every 2 weeks. They just keep parking there too... It seems they can not concieve that the sign has any meaning though you can see the building there and the sign clearly.

Find a tow-company with an impound yard, and you've got a new revenue stream.

Think this might have some backlash?
:p
tom @ www.FatHubby.com

I would not be afraid to chain the car to my truck and yank it into the street; leaving it for the Police and Tow Company.
Only backlash is if the chain or car breaks...IMO...
-- Oren

ha ha ha, I see this being a Judge Judy case.
tom
TC wrote:

It is against city code to park on landscaped areas where I live - mebbe the local cops would do a favor and write a ticket. It is probably city easement.
TC wrote:

It's unlikely that you own that strip of land. The municipality, specifically the road or highway department, owns it. You only own up to the house side of the sidewalk. That's the usual state of affairs.
These things can easily deteriorate into neighbor warfare. Since they're not playing nice and respecting your wishes, the temptation is to "fix" it. If you put stones or anything else that might damage a vehicle on land you don't own - even though it is right in front of your house - you could be held liable.
I'd start with the reflector idea backed up with putting a lawn sprinkler on when someone leaves a car in front of your house. It would be a shame if someone left their car window open while parked in front of your house. Or you could use one of these: http://www.nixalite.com/scarecrow.aspx

That's a good idea. For 20 dollars or so you can buy a battery powered timer that will turn the water on automatically. That doesn't mean you can't just turn it on manually, but don't let them see you do that part.