I need help removing a celing light box

I want to replace a plastic celing light box so that I can put in a metal bracket for a celing fan. The problem is that I can figure out how to get the old box out. It seems to be attached to the side of the stud. From what I have seen there are usually brackets that would be above the drywall to attach the box from the side. I'm afraid I will have to cut a bigger hole in the ceiling to try and cut these off. The problem with that is that I think It will cause an avalanche of blown insulation from the attic to fall into my bedroom. Any suggestions?
If you have access to your attic, the best thing is to go in there to see whats holding your box in and also to brace the new box securely from joist to joist. Put a plastic bag over the hole so the insulation will not make a mess.
Kevin wrote:

It's probably a side bracket box. Spread out a dropcloth, use the butt of a hammer and punch the box up into to attic, being careful not to damage the romex in the box. Once it's bent above the ceiling you'll be able to see what's attaching it and cut it off.