i need help bad

Page 1 of 2
I just got my house to find that the whole center beam is rotten and all I have is a crawl space so I have to replace the whole beam its to rotten to jack it they are 2x10 borads on 4 concrete pillars and a concrete floor its a 2 story house how can I lift this save thank you
in need of help wrote:

If you just bought this house , you may have recourse on the seller . Something like this structural deficiency should have been obvious to him ... if you had the house inspected and the inspecter missed it , he's probably liable . Or you could be just plain screwed . A whole lot depends on the circumstances , your contract , and the laws in your area .
--
Snag

replying to Terry Coombs , i need helo wrote:

the bad thing is itcwas a asis cash sale
i need helo wrote:

I hope you paid well under market for it . Did you have any idea there were problems ? As Ed said , it can be repaired , be sure you get it in writing what will be done and the total cost .
--
Snag

replying to Terry Coombs , in need of help wrote:

I payed 56,000 its worth 142,000 so it was a good deal
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 00:44:01 +0000, i need helo

Then you are responsible for the whole repair. Should have checked before you bought. Hope you didn't pay too much.. You will likely need to put support beams under the joists with jacks - on both sides of the beam. You will need to open up the foundation on one end so you can pull the bad beam out and put the new one in. I suspect you will require professional help on this job.
In wrote:

If everything that the OP wrote is true (doubtful to me), then I agree.
On 3/14/2015 7:44 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I agree with what Terry says, but in any case, it can be repaired. Many ways to add support with laminated beams or even steel. Not being able to see it, I cannot say what is best. Get someone familiar with this type of work to check it out.
On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 8:06:52 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

is it just rot or are termites involved too? if its termites the entire home may me infected
replying to bob haller , i need helo wrote:

may me infected
i had it checked for termites he said it was from water being in the cross space its the whole center beam its 28 foot long 3 2x10
replying to bob haller , i need help wrote:

may me infected
i had someone look at it and said it was from water in the crawl space i just don't know how to lift it safely with it being the whole beam 28 foot long and a jack wont hold it

Yes, you need help. This is a pretty advanced project for DIY. Doesn't sound as if you are up for the job. Time to call the pros and get some estimates. I've not seen your house but it sounds as if you will need to support the whole house on jacks and then replace the rotten wood. Also , fix the water problem.
Dave M.
On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 5:44:05 PM UTC-5, in need of help wrote:

I once saw a 12"x12"x24'center beam replaced under a 3 story 1858 plantation home, so yours can be done but will be expensive.
|I just got my house to find that the whole center beam is rotten and all I | have is a crawl space so I have to replace the whole beam its to rotten to | jack it they are 2x10 borads on 4 concrete pillars and a concrete floor | its a 2 story house how can I lift this save thank you |
I would guess that if you're adventurous you can start by putting temporary beams on either side, to hold it all up while you replace the main beam. If you're less adventurous you might want to call either an experienced house builder or an engineer.
Mayayana wrote:

Another big problem is that usually that main beam also has a load bearing wall on top of it . He's going to have to take the load off that wall as well , It MIGHT be better for him to support the bottom floor from the crawl space , then support whatever the LB wall holds up with supports directly above those . That should keep the house from imploding while he replaces the beam . As someone above noted , he may have to bust a hole in the foundation to insert the new beam . Since it runs from pylon to pylon , he may be able to replace it in sections . And address the drainage problem that caused all this to begin with .
--
Snag

On 3/14/2015 10:44 PM, Mayayana wrote:

I'd get the temp beams in now just so I could sleep better while coming up with a good solution.
LY!!! LY!!!
in need of help wrote:

Hi, Trolling?
On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 10:00:33 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:

Agreed..."in need of help", "i need helo", then "i need help"?
On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 11:00:33 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:

I think you're probably onto something there.....