I need a decent cordless home phone (2.4 or 5.8 ghz ????)

Would like a decent cordless phone for the home. What has worked well for you. And, whats the advantages on this gigahertz thing ? Thanks.

Reply to
DN B

Check COnsumer Reports for ratings. Be aware that if you want the calls to be secure so no one can hear them you must buy a digital spread spectrum phone and by doing so you sacrifice a bit of clarity but to me it is worth it.

Reply to
Art

I am just speaking from MY experience We have a Panasonic 850Mhtz cordless phone. It works Fantastic. It has a lot of range. I can use it outside while I am gardening in the back yard. The bad thing about it is it goes completely garbled when the wife fires up the microwave. I am told that a microwave oven and these phones share the same-or close to -Frequency. Radio wave pollution I am told to call it.... hope that helps....JIm

Reply to
Jim M

Don't worry about 2.4 or 5.8 unless you have a wireless computer network. The 5.8 will not interfere with the wireless networks the 2.4 may. I bought a 5.8. I chose Panasonic, but there are a lot of good ones these days. As someone suggested you can check Consumers Reports (see you library) but I don't recall a recent review so they may be a little out of date.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Just get something analogue and cheap so that we can record your phone calls from the road and make.wav files with them to play on the internet.

(I once recorded an ex-girlfriend's phonecall on 236Khz AM over an analogue cordless. : Tee hee revenge *is* a dish best served cold LOL!)

Reply to
Dr Halonfire$

'I am just speaking from MY experience We have a Panasonic 850Mhtz cordless phone. It works Fantastic. It has a lot of range. I can use it outside while I am gardening in the back yard. The bad thing about it is it goes completely garbled when the wife fires up the microwave. I am told that a microwave oven and these phones share the same-or close to

-Frequency. Radio wave pollution I am told to call it.... hope that helps....JIm'

Thanks Jim. ANd you too Art.

Reply to
DN B

'Don't worry about 2.4 or 5.8 unless you have a wireless computer network. The 5.8 will not interfere with the wireless networks the 2.4 may. I bought a 5.8. I chose Panasonic, but there are a lot of good ones these days. As someone suggested you can check Consumers Reports (see you library) but I don't recall a recent review so they may be a little out of date.

Reply to
DN B

You might want to modify that a bit since one of the standard variations of 802.11, the "a" version indeed uses the 5gHz band that the phones use. Fortunately, since wireless became popular almost all home users opted for the cheaper "b" (and then "g") flavours which are more likely to bother 2gHz phones based on their greater numbers.

Reply to
John McGaw

My Panasonic lasted 8 years, a couple of drops in the toilet bowl and lots of harsh use and it just kept on going. Need to renew the batteries every 2-3 years but they are in Radio Shack easily enough. Dean

Reply to
deanbrown3d

I've always had good luck with panasonic and ge and at&t. Crappy luck with Uniden, Sony. I like the Panasonics best. Have a corded one, for blackouts, and a new cordless with 16min digital memory for answering. very nice set.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

However the power and range of 11a is insignificant. As a matter of fact, it's an almost dead protocol. You can get about 1/5th the distance on an 11a network than you can with an 11b or g network.

Reply to
Mark

I just picked up a 2.4Gig Uniden at Wal-Mart's for my barn, for $15

Couldn't believe how cheap they have gotten

Reply to
Brynk

I have a Uniden 2.4ghz phone that I'm real happy with. Just remember, higher the frequency shorter the range through obstacles.

Reply to
Chris Hill