I need a 2-CYCLE OIL GAUGE

It's a OIL/GAS MIXING MEASURE CYLINDER FOR 2-CYCLE ENGINES. It's exactly like the adjustable measuring cups that Alton Brown (and other chefs?) on the Food Network uses. I'm sure that the same company that makes these also makes the one for measuring oil for gasoline. It's clear, with a sliding plunger that you adjust to the line for the oil/gas ratio you use. It is calibrated for US and Imperial gallons. The one I have was sold by Sears, Roebuck and Company many years ago. They don't have them anymore, in fact no employees remember them. Does anyone know of a source for buying these??

Motorcycle shops used to sell something like that. I think it was called "ratio-rite"

Now they mainly sell premeasured oil for 1 gallon of gas. Why can't you use a measuring cup or a graduated turkey baster.
Since they outlawed 2 cycle engines for most motor vehicles and even lawn mowers, the demand for such a product has probably plummeted.

I just took a quick spin around the internet, and RatioRite is still widely available at motorcycle shops.
PipeDown wrote:

A 60cc syringe with a catheter tip would work well. 30cc = 1 fluid ounce. The catheter tip will allow the thickest of oils to be slurped up easily and nobody is going to think you're seeking the syringe to shoot drugs. There is no place on the syringe to attach a needle... it has a tapered plastic tip about 2.5 inches long or so. Nurses use these syringes when we're administering tube feedings so a drug store might be the place to find one. Me, I'd just pinch one from work.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

tomkanpa wrote:

Check the parts department at your local powersports dealer. I have a similar item, sort of, it's got all kind of ratios on the side and different lines on it for where to fill the oil up to for so many gallons of gas. Use it for my dirt bike.
-- Jim 80 XLH1000 04 CR250 05 CRF230
tomkanpa wrote:

I think that was largely replaced by pre measured portion pack containers, and the bulk containers that have the squeeze up built in measuring cup.
Pete C.
Use your wifes measuring cup, just clean it good and say nothing.
m Ransley wrote:

I don't have a wife for exactly that reason. The first complaint about tools or using measuring cups would be - Out Damn Woman!
Pete C.

I bought a syringe type from Wal-Mart about a year ago... Instead of a needle, it has a small tube that hooks onto the syringe... A quick search via Google brought up this: http://www.autobarn.net/mix2cycfuelm.html
We being long (very long!) past child bearing age I now use the infants bottles for measuring oil for our 2 cycle chainsaw. One side is graduated in millilitres; very useful since we buy our fuel in litres! But no trouble at all to mentally caculate a 40 or 50 to one oil/gas ratio etc. for US or Imperial gallons! The feeding bottles have the advantage that on many, an ordinary, old fashoned, baby food jar top will fit. So an extra 'charge' of mixing oil can be carried compactly and safely; in a haversack if necessary! Some of the old bottles were/are glass but some were plastic and less likely to break.
I use a baby bottle from the dollar store. Worked for several years. Cap started to split, and so I bought another one. Keep it in my parts box with the chain saw stuff. No babies at my home, so safety "what if a kid uses that bottle" isn't an issue.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.