I need 125ft of Romex

This is a real puzzler. I dont know why they dont sell this stuff by the foot.

I need one long piece of 12-2 Romex thats 125ft long. They dont sell that length, so I am not sure what to do. I could buy a 100ft roll for $28, but it's too short. I could also buy a 25ft. roll for $14, but then I got to buy a box and cover for $3.50, to splice it. The total cost is $45.50. The other thing would be to buy a 250ft roll for $47.00, but that will cost me $1.50 more, plus I'll have to cut the roll and won't know what to do with the leftovers.

This is a real dilemma. I really dont want to spend the extra $1.50, and already know I will have a difficult time cutting such a big roll. The guy at the store refuses to cut the roll in half, and sell me half a roll, I already asked and begged and pleaded. He said they do not cut it.

What do you think I should do? I need help determining the best way to do this. If it was only 5 or 6 feet too short, I could probably stretch a 100ft roll, with my come-along, but not 25ft. I just dont know what to do. Please tell me what to do.

Gemini .

Reply to
gemini

your handy dandy electrical supply house and maybe home depot too will have a master reel they will cut any length from but make sure to include 5% extra in your measurement as the kid running the machine might be reel fast and the counters aren't perfect either.

Reply to
bumtracks

find a house under construction. measure all the pieces in the wall to find one the exact length you need and snake it out of the studs. do this at night, of course.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Are you trolling? And I thought I was cheap!

Just buy the friggin big roll and have some leftover for later; you'll use it someday.

Reply to
John Harlow

Stretch it with a come-along???

.:\:/:. +-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:. | PLEASE DO NOT | :.:\:\:/:/:.: | FEED THE TROLLS | :=.' - - '.=: | | '=(\ 9 9 /)=' | Thank you, | ( (_) ) | Jeff | /`-vvv-'\ +-------------------+ / \ | | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \ | | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\ @x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW \||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__ \||/ | | | jgs (______Y______) /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

That's a good idea, but he'd best start with 10 gauge.

Reply to
John Harlow

I can't imagine anyone would screw with selling you 125' of hand cut cable for the price of a 250' factory box. "Cut" wire and cable is usually at least twice the roll price. A box of 12-2 RX is about 35 bucks (USD) at the Home Depot

Reply to
Greg

You must be kidding. Trouble cutting romex? You don't have a wire cutter and your doing your own electrical install?

Don't know what to do with the extra? Did you ever hear of a garage, or giving it to neighbor who wants it?

Reply to
Abe

And have you ever heard of a troll?

Reply to
DaveG

Just throw the excess away. Murphy's law says that the longest piece of romex you have in your junk pile will be 6" too short.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

This is Turtle.

Blondie OH I mean Gemini , Just run the 100 feet of wire out and then take two pieces of 25 feet angler iron and tie the wires on each piece of angle iron. then when you get to the circuit wires to tie into. Just tie the wires to the other end of the two pieces of angle iron. Just keep the two pieces of angle iron seperated and not touching and you will do just fine. You can fine scrap angle iron at any city dump. Now if you could find a bunch of angle iron you could run the whole circuit with the angle iron and cut the cost way down.

Also if you put the angle iron about 1 inch a part. It would make a good mouse killer in the attic. You could probley get a patient on it and sell the right to other to manufactor it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Get a 250ft. roll.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: : This is a real puzzler. I dont know why they dont sell this stuff by : the foot.

[...]

Eric Chomko

Buy the big roll and sell what's left on Ebay.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You're kidding, aren't you?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Gee, it's nice to meet someone as cheap as I am.

Buy the 250 feet, cut it in half. Sell the unused 125' on E-Bay.

Alternately, take the unused 125' and drive around town until you find a hose that's being built. Find the guy who's doing the wiring and sell him the wire. If he doesn't want to buy it, wait until after dark and steal 25' and a box from the site.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
(none)
12-2 Romex with ground is routinely sold by the foot at both Home Depot and Lowe's.

Stan

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

{Delete nospam for email}

Reply to
ssody

In alt.home.repair on 30 Nov 2004 18:32:02 -0800 snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Harry K) posted:

Yes, he's trolling. It's nice that this ng has so few dumbbells that it's hard to believe when one shows up.

I donno. Right now I need a 3 foot piece, but I could settle for 2 feet or even 18 inches if that's all I have. Now I just have to find my leftover. Hmmm. Maybe you are right.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman