I may be just a grumpy old man but

Page 3 of 3

I once wrote software that phoned people and reminded them of their medical appointments. The software was necessary because too many people were missing appointments and making it hard on the staff and on others waiting to get appointments. But the clinics didn't have the staff to personally phone everyone and remind them.
There was no provision in the software to exclude phone numbers. The software generated a log that showed whether the call was answered by a human, voicemail/machine, busy, no answer, or disconnected. It was excellent software if I do say so myself. The disconnected numbers would be highlighted so that the receptionist could ask the patient for a corrected phone number next time.
We never had any complaints about the software, and it decreased the number of missed appointments from 15% (that's 1 in 6) to about 5% (1 in 20).
On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 17:43:38 -0700, "David Kaye"

I agree those are necessary, and I get quite a few of those. If you listen to the whole message telling you to bring insurance and come early and what ever else they can think of (maybe flu shot info), you will finally get an option to press 1 to confirm.
I hang up on those too.
On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 17:43:38 -0700, "David Kaye"

We get those calls from our medical group. Quite handy, especially if you were not sure of a time. We usually let them go to the machine, but we don't object to getting them.
It is the credit card and burglar alarm scams and the like that I object to.
On 9/8/2012 7:09 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

The only difference between a computer generated telemarketing call and a real person telemarketer is hanging up without telling them to do that physically impossible thingy.

Let us know how that goes for you, if you live long enough to make it through the auto-attendant menu-go-round.
If you manage to get through to a human, they don't care if you cancel, there's another customer waiting to sign up.
The "new" customer metric: We'll swap dissatisfied customers and it all evens out in the long run, and we save on customer service in the short run by not having any. -----
- gpsman

I can't figure one leaving question on answering machine. Its actually not a question, but an answer. It's like listening to an answering machine message. We are sorry that option is not available at this time.... ?????
Greg
On 9/8/2012 6:09 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

I would tend to give bizarre answers like "Your technicians disturbed my dead mother in her rocking chair, I had to glue her arm back on." or "You really shouldn't move the equipment in my meth lab, it could cause an explosion." ^_^
TDD
On 10 Sep 2012, The Daring Dufas

If I'm in the mood to toy with them, I'll pick up some piece of technical literature, or a novel, and I'll respond to their questions by reading from it in as conversational a tone as possible. Doesn't matter what I say, but it needs to be plausible, well-formed sentences that are completely irrelevant to their questions. It helps if I mumble a little so they're not quite sure if they really heard me say what they think I said. I can keep them going for quite a while this way, but they eventually hang up of course.
In practice, though, I almost never bother any more. I get too many of those robo-calls these days (in the past couple of months it's gotten to be 2 or 3 a day sometimes,) so now I let all calls go to voice mail unless I recognize the number on caller ID. I had been told that if you answer in any way, even to say something rude and then hang up, their computer system will flag your number as "good" and your number will be put on the list to be sold and receive even more calls. I'm skeptical about that now because I don't answer any more and I'm receiving more junk calls than ever.
Have you read the Watchtower, lately?
A little less drastic is the "Have you found The Way" gambit. Have you been saved? Are you right with Jesus? "Yeah, verily, sayeth the Lord....." etc. ;)
nb
--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."