I may be just a grumpy old man but

Page 2 of 3
On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 12:39:29 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I've done that, but in a couple of instances, it was a call that was important. Call centers are all over the place now and it may be a "local" business with a call back from elsewhere..

Are you saying that you answer every call that comes to your phone?
I only do that with my cell phone. I only give my cell number to those that I want to talk to. Every other place that requires a phone number gets my home phone number. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer it. I do have the advantage of still using a "local" answering machine as opposed to voice mail for my home phone, so I can screen calls but I honestly can't remember the last time I actually picked it up.
The vast majority of times the caller hangs up once the message begins. That tells me that it wasn't important.
On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 16:18:26 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Not every call, but it only takes a couple of seconds to answer most times. If it is a robo call or such, I simply hang up. Every once in a while though, we get a call from an unrecognized number and the call is one that we would want to take.
Just yesterday, I was a "wireless caller" and number I never saw. Had I ignored it, my 3 yards of crushed stone would not have been delivered. It was the driver. Another number a week or so ago was about a medical test my wife took.
Right now, the phone is inches away from me. Not a big deal to answer a couple of times a week.

In my case neither the driver nor the lab/Dr. office would have had my home phone number. As I said earlier, anyone that I would want to talk to will have my cell number.

In my case, I boght a cheap trac-phone for a cell phone. We don't use the cell for much. When I first got it I discovered that while the calller ID number was displayed correctly but the name that showed was "wireless caller". I tried to get it changed to my name but that was an exercise in futility.
Charlie
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, but robocalls are like toll roads; you're just encouraging them to create more.
On 9/9/2012 2:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I agree. When it comes to answering your cell phone, you never know if it is a loved one or a close friend in an atypical situation (dead zone when attempting to use their cell phone, or emergency when they've been in an accident or victim of a crime) calling from a number that is unfamiliar to you. If you only accept incoming cell phone calls from familiar numbers you would miss receiving those calls when they mattered most. Of course, if you have no loved ones or close friends, that's not a consideration for you.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Alternatively, you can supply a telephone number of (area code) 911-1234. Should anyone use this number, they should be connected to your local emergency service. The 911 people frown on people using the service for non-emergencies. The caller may end up with a SWAT unit surrounding his facility.
I've sometimes used the non-emergency telephone number of my local police department or Rat Abatement bureau.

Good idea.
Let's all find ways to burden our 911 centers and police departments. It's not like they have anything better to do with their scant resources than answer calls from telemarketers.
Oh wait...this was from HeyBub. Odds are this was posted for no other reason than to get a reaction.
On 9/10/2012 9:17 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's sort of like the guy who told the police his infant was in his car when it was stolen. The cops pulled out all the stops to find the guy's car but no child was found. He told them that if he hadn't told them his kid was in the car, the police wouldn't have done anything more than file a report. HeyBub's ploy may be similar, the authorities won't take action unless it affects them directly. O_o
TDD
On Sep 10, 12:09pm, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

The "authorities" whose number HeyBub is suggesting we use (911 and local police stations) have no authority (or reason) to deal with robo- calls from charities, political parties or whomever except to try and block them from their phone lines, not your's or mine.
Do you really want the 911 centers and local police to be wasting resources by answering calls from these organizations? How would you feel if they were answering one of those calls when a loved one of yours was trying to get through?
Of course, the fact that we are evening discussing this means that HubBub probably accomplished his goal.
On 9/10/2012 11:54 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

No sane person would want to interfere with emergency services and personally I would feel pretty bad if I was responsible for someone getting hurt because I tied up 911 service but there are other government numbers like the non-emergency number HeyBub said he used. O_o
TDD

I use my fax any more mostly outgoing and then on a couple of times a month, so I use my regular phone line. I have been known to keep the fax plugged in, answer the phone without saying anything, and if no response of an obvious junk response, I hit the fax machine, they get a signal and (hopefully) take me off the list.
On Sep 10, 2:17pm, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

Let's recap...
HeyBub listed 3 options:
1 - 911 2 - Police non-emergency 3 - Rat Abatement bureau
You said:
"HeyBub's ploy may be similar, the authorities won't take action unless it affects them directly"
I assume you'll agree that the first 2 of HeyBub's (BTW, he's winning again) suggestions should never be used. Even the Police non-emergency staff have more than enough to do without fielding calls from telemarketers or political parties because people like HeyBub are giving their number out.
Now, as for the Rat Abatement bureau, do you think they would be considered an "authority" that can/would take action against the robocalls? Not any more than a water district, a parks and rec department, a public works department or any other non-emergency department would. All you would be doing is annoying them instead of being annoyed yourself.
Seems to me that there are a couple of numbers that could be used:
1 - If you really think that sending the calls to an "authority" would help, then use the number of the Federal Trade Commision (1-877-FTC- HELP) since they manage the National Do Not Call Registry. Using any other agency's number, non-emergency or not, is not only a waste of time and resources, but makes the offender just as bad, if not worse, than the telemarketers themselves.
2 - Compile a list of robocall numbers from your call log and use them. Let them call each other. ;-)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes
Personal anecdotes or possibilities have no place in any decision process.
You make a good point, though, about 911 being possibly overburdened. That may very well be true in your neighborhood. In mine, the 911 operators have a lot of crossword puzzle time.
The cops jailed him for false reporting?
It's sort of like the guy who told the police his infant was in his car when it was stolen. The cops pulled out all the stops to find the guy's car but no child was found. He told them that if he hadn't told them his kid was in the car, the police wouldn't have done anything more than file a report. HeyBub's ploy may be similar, the authorities won't take action unless it affects them directly. O_o
TDD

I got a girl's number at a party once. It was the police station. :)
On 9/10/2012 7:05 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I've given them another telemarketer's phone number before. ^_^
TDD
On 09/09/2012 07:39 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[snip]

I look at the caller ID, and don't answer:
name is City and State (these seem to always be junk calls)
name is duplicate of number (these are junk calls)
unfamiliar business names
non-nearby and unfamiliar area codes (mostly without person's names)
meaningless and unfamiliar business names (such as "TLA GROUP")
These almost never leave a message. Maybe they KNOW what they're selling is so bad no one who has a chance to think about it would want it.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I simply don't answer calls that don't show phone numbers or are from out of the area. The people I know from outside the area know to email me instead of phoning me. And anybody who knows me will know to leave a message or a text if they can't reach me immediately.