I may attempt to murder a gopher ... I just might stoop to that level (so help me God)

Page 5 of 6
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 01:41:57 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico

http://www.moviestillsdb.com/movies/caddyshack-i80487/9cb79e95/
On 11/29/2013 8:41 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

Last spring was our first in our new home, and it didn't take long to see that there were lots and lots of critters residing with us. Chipmunks galore, thanks to the former owner and me leaving some indian corn in the garden over winter. Dumb. With garden planting soon upon us, I went out to get some really good chipmunk (rat) traps. They couldn't be bothered with the peanut butter on the traps. Next idea, limited use of poison. Apparently not appetizing. I was soon busy with planting garden, putting in new flower beds, feeding grandkids, cleaning koi pond, etc., so ignored the chippers for a while. Now I had moles digging up the whole west side of the yard! Darn! $20 for a mole trap, which is an extremely evil looking device....put in the mole trap, put my plants back into the ground where there were tunnels, and wait. Seems the moles were interested only in my newly turned soil in flower beds; not ambitious enough to get into the lawn. They made exploratory tunnels and then apparently departed. My tender new plants were doing just fine in the garden, so I stopped worrying about the chipmunks for a while. They used the bottom of our wood fence as a highway, and liked to stop at the pond for refreshments. They didn't like where I planted some seeds and bulbs, so they moved a few. They planted sorghum next to the back door. Then a neighborhood cat started showing up in our yard and patrolling along the garden fence. The rabbits disappeared and the chippers apparently moved out. Very few of them around after mid summer. There is one chipmunk that lives in the pile of rocks that forms a waterfall for the pond, and he isn't shy at all. Runs right by me when out and about, and likes the dead tomatoes that fall of plants. Son's schnauzer likes tomatoes, too.
Why on earth cover the yard with wood chips? Plant ground cover and then forget about weeds and chipmunks. Deer LOVE hosta....
On 11/29/2013 7:41 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

There is a way. ^_^
http://www.rodenator.com/
TDD
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 06:45:35 -0500, Norminn wrote:

California. Doesn't rain for 8 months of the year. Why put water on a lawn if nature didn't intend grass to grow there?
Wood chips, I was assuming, didn't need maintenance. Plus, I have a huge amount.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7322/10488576624_2dac2ec144_o.gif
On 11/30/2013 7:30 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

Who said anything about water? ;o)

Ooooohh............then lets plan for termites, then carpenter ants. Solution: ant eater.
How large an area are you covering?
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 08:08:31 -0500, Norminn wrote:

There are four or five areas of about 20 feet by 20 feet (roughly). Each one seems to have an infestation.
BTW, this article from UC Davis says the "feed holes" are left open: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7433.html

feet by 20 feet (roughly).

ONE, only ONE gopher can look like 20 sometimes, they create so much damage.
Steve
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 13:09:55 -0700, SteveB wrote:

It *is* amazing how many holes the thing pops up. Generally a few a day.
I flooded the holes for four hours, until the cracks in the driveway below seeped, and the steps seeped at the corners (although no water came to the surface where I was flooding).
At something like ten gallons a minute from two garden hoses, the ground soaked up something like 5,000 gallons of water in those four hours!
Now, it has only rained once in 8 months, so, I guess I'm doing the soil a favor; but I was shocked that the soil soaked all that up with just a bit of weeping at the cracks in the retaining walls, steps, and driveway a few vertical feet below in elevation.
Wow. The ground has as great a capacity for soaking up water as it does for electrons from the power company! :)
On 11/30/2013 10:31 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

Perfect.
Just cram some catshit down the hole. You must have a female neighbor who it single who would not mind you emptying her litter box down the hole! Cat pee works too, just down the litter box down their holes.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
Danny D'Amico wrote:

Live Trap and relocate. http://preview.tinyurl.com/o5cju7j
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Give these a try: <(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
You need to have a clear tunnel. I use a short piece of plastic hose to stuff down and make sure that it is clear. These work best on a new or recently use tunnel.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
On 11/29/2013 6:41 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

hole with chemicals, such as hydrochloric acid,
pool bleach, industrial ammonia, etc.

my freshly wood-chipped "lawn" into dirt piles!
gif

than just using annoying chemicals!
Learn to trap them. It's simple. Get a Macabee trap, and no other brand. . The secrets are few. Put a small chain or cord on the trap so the gopher can't drag it down into the tunnel.
One, always dig into the freshest, darkest dirt pile you see. Get one of those metal Army surplus type spoons. Dig down until you find the tunnel, looking for the soft dirt and probing with the small end of the spoon, and here's secret 2. Open the tunnel up side to side so the grabbers on the trap don't hit the sides of the walls. You just have to widen the spot where your trap will go, not the whole thing. Go about 8" to 12" deep if you can. Cock the trap. Use your forefinger to push forward on the little trip flap to keep it from triggering as you slide it down into the tunnel. After placement, put the spoon in the tunnel to block the dirt you will push in there from triggering the trap. Put an orange cone on it so you can find it. It takes me 4 to 12 hours to catch one. They are active at all times, so just check it every 12 hours or so. If you don't get it, move it to the freshest pile if he has piled up another, recognizing it by the darkness of it, as he has used wet dirt from underground.
Short story, I made a www.rodinator.com and had some very interesting experiences with it, some not so good. I am a gadget guy, but that scared me, and I dismantled it. Two guys in Canada burned up several buildings, and caused $600,000 USD damage with one. It was fun, but was dangerous around houses, and trapping works MUCH better.
Once you get the hang of it, it is easy to trap them. Do not use poison, as your dog or neighbor's cat can eat a poisoned gopher and die.
It is actually very easy. e mail me if you need more info.
Steve
On 11/29/2013 6:41 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
Second pic defnitely a pocket gopher. Dirt pushed up from inside, and sealed.
You got gophers. First hole may be a chipmunk hole, or even a gopher hole that he hasn't sealed up yet from the inside.
I live on a ranch in Utah, and I know gophers.
Steve
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 10:19:07 -0700, SteveB wrote:

This is good advice.
I read this, with interest: http://gophertrapping.com/
Looks like they cost $8 each: http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/NWSMAC.html
Which is less than the bottles of cholorine + ammonia + HCL I've been using to get them to go away to the neighbor's lawn. :)
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 10:19:07 -0700, SteveB wrote:

This has a nice howto on the Macabee: http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/macabee-gopher-trap.html
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 10:26:25 -0700, SteveB wrote:

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure, after reading for the past day on this, that it's a pocket gopher. I'll try some of the remedies, starting with water and exhaust and then moving on to the trap (which I prefer not to do since I'm hopeful I can just make life miserable for him in my yard, and hope he simply moves on to the next one on his own).
This article says that only trapping really works: http://beta.mastergardeners.org/resources/animals/pocket_gophers.html
On 11/29/2013 8:41 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

I had trouble with moles and zinc phosphide based rodenticide took care of them. I see the same thing specified for gophers. The phosphide based materials slowly release phosphine gas (PH3) which is highly toxic.
I tend to believe any unnecessary killing may effect us after we die. GOD may frown on murders rapists, and people who kill animals for the heck of it.....

I don't killing for nothing, from an experience I once had.
But, I've had a couple annoying gophers over the years. I once had one under my shed floor. The floor was caving in. Brick over earth. I set up a horn speaker playing sound for a few days. Pretty loud close up, but not annoying around the house. After I saw it was clear, I blocked the entrance. Looked like he was trying to get back in. I added more rocks. Finally clear. I tried trapping the critter in safe trap. The only thing I caught were two raccoons and an opposum.
Couple summers ago, another one under another cement slab down the hill. Looked like he was going near garden. One day I took a 1000 watt generator, and fed gases into hole. Partially blocked hole. I don't know if I caused death. Never saw It again. No smells out of hole. CO seems humane.
Greg
bob haller;3158483 Wrote: > I tend to believe any unnecessary killing may effect us after we die. > GOD may frown on murders rapists, and people who kill animals for the > heck of it.....
Yes, but killing a gopher because he's making a mess of your yard is not killing an animal for the heck of it.
I'm sure that if the OP could capture that gopher and relocate him, perhaps to his ex-wife's lawyer's yard, that would be his preference. And, if that were not practical, he could always release the gopher into the wild somewhere.
--
nestork