I'm Pissed Off

Page 1 of 3
In 1950 or 51 my parents bought a 1950 Zenith tv console with record player and am-fm radio. I know they paid a lot of money for it and had to save for a long time. I watched this tv as a young boy and for years. In later years they got a color tv and this one went into their basement rec room. Eventually it quit working but was used as a bench, and fortunately was not thrown away. When I was in my 20's my father was going to toss it in the garbage but I was playing with a lot of electronics at the time and I fixed it with some tubes and if I recall, some new filter capacitors. It worked for several years after that. Eventually I inherited it when I got my own place, and I replaced some tubes and used it for a few years until I got a color tv. However, I kept this set and intended to completely rebuild it. Its been in my basement for years and I could never toss it. A few years ago I plugged it in and the radio worked fine, record player worked (but who uses records any more), but the tv had a noticable hi voltage leak, so I shut it off. Since then I have planned to restore it as an antique. It has lots of memories attached. I do believe the tv portion needs something more than tubes by now, but I planned to restore it anyhow. That was until recently when I found out they are going to completely eliminate analog tv stations and switch everything to digital. That's why I am pissed off. Even if I restore this old tv, there will no longer be anything to watch on it. I know there will be converters for newer tvs, but I doubt it will work on an old set like that, since there are no input jacks. It looks like anyone that collects antique tvs will no longer be able to watch them. As always, the government is screwing up our lives, but thats nothing new. Hell, tv frequencies have been the same ever since the beginning of tv itself, but now that we entered the 21st century everything is changing so fast one can no longer keep up. This really does piss me off. Maybe it's my age, but why cant they just leave things be. Pretty soon anyone over the age of 12 will be obsolete and rendered useless. New technology is great for those who want it, but why cant they leave the old stuff alone. It's history and it's well established and is part of our culture. Cant the government just leave us alone for once and stop screwing up our world. I'll admit that when color tv first came out I thought it was the greatest thing, but now it's fun to see an old B&W tv still working.
You can see a picture of this tv here:
http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-Zenith-G2957R.JPG
By the way, this console has a special plug for "video phone". This was way ahead of it's time, and never was used. It's a great set and a nice cabinet either way, but I guess there's no sense fixing the tv part anymore.
Alvin

They will work the same way as they do now with cable. A simple 75ohm antenna to coax adapter.
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 07:14:01 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

It would not be at all difficult to hook up a VCR or DVD player to it. Many shows from the dawn of the television age are available on tape and disc.
Those old tube sets were prone to cracked solder joints due to the wide temperature swings generated by the tubes heating and cooling. Paper caps also dry out over time.
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 07:14:01 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Will it get channel 83?

Can't use an RF modulator?

Is this useful for anything? Maybe those baseband inputs you need.

Mark Lloyd
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 07:14:01 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com

... ...
Use an external tuner, moron.

i don't know what's worse, spammers or pricks like you?
On Nov 7, 8:14 am, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Alvin,
If you like TV, get yourself infront of an HD TV that picks up HD over the air. you'll stop compaining in a hearbeat. the quality difference between tv and HDTV is amazing! I'm glad the switch is on, and I wish that the Canadian Gov was moving in the same direction. your old TV will still work in range of Canadian TV stations, they are not switching yet.
[snip]

[snip]
Yes, it's better. I can look at a HD picture and it's perfectly steady, unlike NTSC which is always wiggling around like you're drunk. Also, the color is much better.
BTW, one of the first things I saw in HD was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (the first movie). It has some really nice outdoor scenes.

Mark Lloyd
Hey, you hooked a bunch of people with your troll! (God, I hope it was a troll...)

With no indication of WHO you're talking about. Maybe you just don't like people...

And maybe you are a moron.

Thank you for describing yourself. You've succeeded and may leave now.
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

It helps if you have the correct information, rather than going on what you think you know. You will be able to hook up the digital-to-analogue converter to an existing analogue tv by a number of options. One option is to use an antenna adaptor connected to the old fashioned antenna flat-wire connector.
http://www.dtvtransition.org/downloads/converter_qsg.pdf
Sorry to spoil your 'piss me off' mood.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 07:14:01 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

You can always use the TV for playing VCR tapes or DVDs. The hi-def screens are so much better than CRTs. That's progress. I'm sure you can recycle the cabinet and use it for a piece of furniture.
Is this the console that was blonde in color. It had double doors in the front that were bent. The speaker was downward mounted on the bottom right. The FM dial was vertical on the left with the record player, TV on the right.
You didn't have one of these, did you?
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 16:59:47 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I just noticed the Link, Duh..... Not the same. Your console is older.
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 16:59:47 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Nope
If you missed this link in my original post, heres a picture of one. I like this website, it's got pics and info for almost every tv ever made.
http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-Zenith-G2957R.JPG
Someone suggested removing the innards and using the cabinet. I came close to doing that once, but am glad I didn't. I want it original, and I love old tube stuff. Thats when they really built stuff. The main problem with that stuff are the old caps. I actually did remove the record player years ago and put a modern record player in it, but I kept the old one, and now it's back.
That small round picture was actually quite clear for it's age. This was a well made set.
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

As you said: "Who uses records anymore?"
Well, who uses black-and-white TV?
Donate the thing to the Smithsonian and take a tax deduction.

Actually I have lots of records, but I wont play them on this old player because the needle was heavy and hard on them. I still play records at times but use a modern player with light stylus.
Since all I watch are old westerns and other older stuff, much if not most of its in B&W anyhow. It's just that I now watch on a dvd or vcr.
The younger generation seems to think anything old is junk, however being old myself, I appreciate the stuff, and it was quality made too. Thats why this old set can still be usable with a few repairs after 60 years. You wont find any of todays stuff still working in 60 years.
Our younger generation seems to think everything needs to be replaced every 2 to 5 years, and that's exactly what the manufacturers want. But I'll leave all the debt to them, and many of them will never get out of debt. Myself, everything is paid for except my last phone bill.which I forgot to pay last week. I appreciate this old tv which I watched as a child, as well as I still use my 8 year old computer with Win98. I dont need to keep up with the Jonses to prove anything to anyone.

Some of us want to move ahead. Just like computers, indoor plumbing and central heat.
When that TV came on the market, some idiot probably complained it was going to ruin radio and progress should be stopped. Bring back vaudeville!
I love my HDTV