I'm off to buy (another) miter saw

Page 2 of 2
On 3/2/2013 1:19 PM, HeyBub wrote:

attention to yourself...
George wrote:

If, by "normal," you mean gratitous insults, profanity for profanity's sake, or other posts of an excitable nature often seen here, then I'm afraid you'll continue to be disappointed.
I don't do "normal." When I make a mistake, or an error is called to my attention, I almost always acknowledge it, often apologizing for conveying the wrong information. When another poster offers an explanation or a reference link, I often thank them for the trouble.
Admittedly, these actions are not "normal," but it's what I do.
On 3/1/2013 12:34 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Well, other than containing the words "miter", "saw", "bevel", etc., I'd not say it'll likely be "comparable" to the Bosch (or DeWalt, even).
Serviceable, perhaps...

$60? You buy cheap blades.
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2020024/26492/forrest-chopmaster-signature-line-circular-saw-blade-12-x-90-tooth.aspx
It's on sale, too!

Framing cut with a $152 blade will look real nice...right up until the time you cover it with drywall or sheathing.

When I bought my hitachi, it came with a rough low tooth count blade. Just what was recommended cutting my plastic decking. Still got some melted polystyrene on blade though !
Greg

My De Walt came with an OK, but not great blade. I lent the saw to someone doing laminate flooring figuring he would trash the blade and he pretty much did. I sent it to Ridge Carbide for sharpening and WOW, better than new.

You don't want to get a splinter, do you? ;-)

It's *NOT* comparable.
<...>

Have fun! ;-)
On 03/01/2013 01:34 PM, HeyBub wrote:

You've obviously never used true professional grade tools.

I do have an HF (10") SCMS. I also have a Bosch 5312. While there is a world of difference, I still use the HF to whack 2x4s. I don't care if it gets wet. ;-)
On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 19:29:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Perfect scenario. Cheap tools have a place. For the guy putting in a couple of closet shelves, the HF tools get the job done, but it is not what the cabinet maker will want.
A few years back I wanted to try my hand at woodworking. I bought a cheap Craftsman bench top saw. I used it for a year, found that I was pretty good at woodworking and enjoyed it. Then I bought a Delta with a Biesemeyer fence and it was like getting out of the Ford Pinto and into a Lamborghini.

I bought a 12" Bosch about 4 years ago. Looked hard at the Makita but got the Bosch. Glad I did. For me (age 71) it's almost orgasmic to use a tool that's designed and built as well. It's just a real pleasure to use. I've owned others but none as good. My old Kraut father taught me to always buy right once. I glad he did. That said, I now wish I got the 10" slider instead of the 12". It's really a big SOB.
On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 23:30:23 -0600, "Dick Keats"

of the first things I did was cut 2x6s to build knee walls in the attic above the garage (think bonus room). Since the roof has a 15:12 pitch, I was glad I had the bigger blade. ;-)

I have the Bosch equivalent on my DeWalt planer and use a DeWalt stand on my Bosch SCMS (and HF, when I use it).

I much prefer the DeWalt stand. The supports are much better and it really isn't any fun rolling the stand around. It's awkward because you can't take a full stride (feet can't go under the legs).

HeyBub wrote: