I'm looking for chrome tubing or rods...

...for a built in spice rack drawer. This is something my brother in law is building for his new kitchen. He wants to use this instead of dowels. So, he is looking for either a rod or a tube ~1/4" in diameter and about 24" long. I don't know how many he needs, but I would think about 10 or 20. I cannot, nor can he, find much out there this size. Anybody have any pointers?
-Jim
Look for something like a curtain rod. They're not very strong, but unless your child is using the spice rack as a jungle-gym, it should be more than adequate.

find the tubing, cut to length, then take it somewhere to get chromed? look in your yellow pages for local chroming shops.
you can get 1/4" steel, copper, brass, or aluminium rod in home depot pretty cheaply.

OMG thats INSANE !!!! Unless you are rich and want to watch them chrome your rod, go to a home center like Home Depot and get your 7/8" - 1" closet rod with the rod holders ... It's gonna be a lot cheaper

That's way too big for what he wants. He's looking for something about 1/4 inch diameter.

well, if you'd bother to read, he's looking for 1/4" rod or tube, which i doubt you'd find closet rods to match.
it's not that expensive to have things chromed or plated, especially if you don't have a time constraint. it just goes into the basket with the next job. auto or motorcycle customing places know where/how to do this cheaply.
heck, with the right kit, you can plate gold at home with some not so common chemicals, for not very much.

Look in the plumbing section of any home improvement store. There is a 1/4" chrome plated tubing used for feedlines to toilets and pedestal sinks. I think it is just what you are looking for.
Mys Terry wrote:

24" long is also unusually long for a supply, I've never seen one that long. If it's available, it's mighty soft stuff - at 24" long it would bend very easily and stay that way until someone tried to straighten it and put additional bends in it.
To the OP: it's better to crosspost your one question to a couple related newsgroups than to post separately to each newsgroup.

I think it might be made to work. That's why I suggested he check it out. There are certainly more expensive alternatives that would be easier. You always could buy 1/4" steel rod and have it custom plated.

Onlinemetals.com
Or steal someone's antenna.
www.mcmastercarr.com

Look for some stainless steel tubing. The stuff we use at work comes in 20 foot lengths. Cut it to length with a pipe cutter. It is not chrome, but still is shiney.
Try this http://www.leevalley.com/home/Search.aspx?c=1&action=n, and click on tubes, holders and posts.

jtpr Wrote: > ....for a built in spice rack drawer. This is something my brother in

It shouldn't be too hard to find 3/8" chrome risers for bath or kitchen faucets. Most people use the braided supplies, but the chrome ones are still available. You might have to find a metal dowel that fits inside for strength (the chrome risers are chrome-plated soft copper and malable).
--
5p5

Is he really stuck on chrome?
Personally, I make kitchenwear with high-polished stainless steel instead -- no plating to wear through or get scratched, and stainless is easy to silver braze if you need joints. 1/4" stainless tube and rods are easy to find from any good metal supplier.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
jtpr wrote:

Here you can buy 5/8" chrome plated steel tubing. (Quite a bit bigger than the original request.) : http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&pR848&cat=,52836 It's part of some kitchen organization system.
As suggested elsewhere, you could use stainless steel. If you use chrome plated material you have a weak points at the ends. For example, at www.mcmaster.com you can get mirror polished 1/4" diam stainless steel (type 304) rods (item 1256T14). However, this ends up being kind of pricy if you need 40 feet of it. If you want to save money and do your own polishing then the mill finish (item 89535K21) is a LOT cheaper. That might not be too bad if you go for a coarse, brushed finish. I guess you could also consider aluminum or brass. (Aluminum would be easier to polish.) Another place that sells this kind of thing is www.mscdirect.com.