I'm in the wrong business (bedbugs)

Page 3 of 3

On 9/8/2010 7:01 PM WW spake thus:

They'll know in a week or so. They think they zapped all the bugs (and their eggs).

As mentioned, I had a conversation with an exterminator today about the bed bugs. He says they wrap the mattress and fumigate it. They did one that was so bad they just took it outside and left it for the trash. I'll have to ask him about the heat and potential cost when he comes back next week. I think $3600 is outrageous.
I don't see getting a mattress internals to 120 easily either. It may be green, but I'd not trust it.

They had a big bed bug article in the Denver Post. Seems Denver is lousy (pun intended) with them. One reason for the high prices is some of the specialized commercial heating equipment which can run in the thousands. The other is jes plain greed.
http://www.thermapure.com/hot_house.php
The exterminator business has always notorious for price gouging. First time I had my driveway sprayed for Japanese roaches (mostly outdoor species), it was $75 for a one time pop. Jes a few years later it was a mos long repeated applications costing hundreds of dollars. Screw it, I jes stepped on the few that made it into the house, then moved 4 states away! ;)
nb
On 9/8/2010 9:54 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

A high concentration of CO2 is supposed to kill the bugs. I wonder if you can put clothing in one of those vacuum bags, suck out the air then blow the bag back up with CO2 and leave it that way for a while to eliminate the pests?
TDD
On 9/8/2010 10:39 PM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

That's interesting, because my friends told me that one thing that attracts bedbugs in the first place is CO2--specifically, our CO2 at night, which apparently helps them locate their source of tasty blood meals. But maybe a high enough concentration could knock them out.

Seems like a good idea - put the mattress in a closed plastic bag with some dry ice. Leave a little opening for an hour then close hermetically.
--
Best regards
Han

The banning of ddt was the biggest problem. It was highly effective against them.
One problem is they don't groom like most other bugs. That's how most bugs transfer insectcides into their system. They pick it up by walking in it and then later they groom and eat some of it.
A bed bug can live up to 9 months without food.
Bombing chases them away to other non-infected rooms and inside the walls. Then they come back.
Heat to 140 is an effective solution but it needs to be held to that temp ong enough to insure that the insides of things like matresses also reach 140.
When heating a room be sure to remove things that are sensitive to heat, expecially electronic items.

It is enough if all nooks and crannies and mattress interiors get to 130 or upper 120's for 10 minutes.
Electronic items that are not connected to power sources can take 140 F, with few exceptions. The main problem items for such heat are magnetic media (especially other than hard drives), vinyl phono records, aerosol cans and containers of volatile liquids such as gasoline or rubbing alcohol.
Also, get the place free of thermostat, motion sensor and timer switches making sparks unless one is confident that the place will be free of leaking/evaporating flammable/combustible liquids with flash point of similar or lower temperature (such as kerosene and some penetrating oils).
I don't think that is too tall an order.

On 9/9/2010 1:35 AM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

It's the warmth of your body and CO2 that attracts them, a bed bug hotel like the roach hotel would be a good idea for control. A trap with a small electric heating element plus a CO2 cartridge for the gas combined with a sticky surface or a poison might do the trick.
TDD

I don't think any competent outfit would treat one room for bedbugs.

I'm unfamiliar with heat treatments but I think it takes maybe 3-4+ hours, to kill the eggs. Just killing the adults is a waste of time and money. -----
- gpsman
David Nebenzahl wrote:

There was just a piece on CNN about bedbugs. Part of the routine for killing them was to heat the room to 120 degrees.
With all of the alien species we have imported so far ... killer bees, fire ants, etc....we probably will end up with a super-bedbug.
On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 15:17:38 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Give me DDT or give me death.

Some countries have reintroduced ddt as an indoor treatment only. The reason we got into so much trouble with it was we were spraying it wholesale outdoors. It rapidly entered the food chain of birds that way. Controlled indoor use is reasonable.

The reason we got in "so much trouble" the same reason we're in "so much trouble" with AGW; politics.
You can find your own but here is one history lesson:
http://www.matrixbookstore.biz/ddt.htm