I'm in the wrong business (bedbugs)

Page 1 of 3

As some of you may know, there seems to be a national infestation of bedbugs, as has been noted recently in the NY Times and elsewhere. Apparently it has nothing to do with cleanliness or the lack thereof, and hits middle- and upper-class folk as well as the proletariat.
My friend and his wife discovered they were bedbug-ridden, and called and got a couple estimates on eliminating them. The bedbugs seemed to be confined to one room, their bedroom. One business, a so-called "green" outfit, came up with an estimate of $3,600! For one lousy room!
Turns out (and apparently they got this info from one of the exterminators), the way one kills these critters is not with nasty chemicals but simply with--heat. Heat the room to 120 for about an hour and they're gone. Surprisingly simple, that. (Well, the "green" exterminators also sprinkle around a little diatomaceous earth, which anyone can buy, and do a couple more little things.)
So his boarder took on this project for himself. Went to the local Harbor Freight and picked up a couple of "Chicago" blowers with heaters. After figuring out how to supply them current without popping the breakers, they ran them for several hours: only got up a little over 100. Whereupon he said "fuck it!", went out and bought a propane heater. The room got up to a toasty 140 in no time.
So it's been suggested maybe I should go into this line of work. Could undercut the "green" guys and still make out like a bandit.
By the way, I must point out, to borrow from that famous Nazi guy, that when I hear the word "green" these days, I reach for my revolver. Now mind you, I'm one of the biggest environmentalists I know. Against offshore oil drilling, fossil fuel, in favor of cutting carbon emissions, etc., etc. But this "green" stuff nowadays seems to me to be about 90% scams; people doing things pretty much the way they've always done them, with maybe a little environmentally-friendly window dressing thrown in, and charging double for essentially the same service. Feh!
On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 15:17:38 -0700, David Nebenzahl

You might make some money in Las Vegas. Said, there is 40 or more locations with bedbugs.
The NE and Florida are the worst -- best I can tell.
http://bedbugregistry.com /
-snip-

Note the similarities between that map and this population density map- http://www.census.gov/dmd/www/pdf/512popdn.pdf
More people- more bugs- more reports.
Jim

Funny how the bedbug problem went away in the '50s and stayed away for 50- years, as long as the exterminators were allowed to lay carbamates and other quite-safe and highly-effective chemicals, but came back within a few years of the ban on those same chemicals (~2001).
If You <heart> Your Bedbugs, Thank an Environut!
--
Tegger

Is that why Victoria's Secret in Manhattan had them? Dirty undies?

And for about $5 you can buy these bug bombs that kill every bug in the house. Who needs all this costly stuff?

Last year it was the swine flu, this year its bedbugs. Run for the border..... we're all gonna die !!!!
Also make sure you purchase your mattress from a professional company. There are companies out there that refurbish matresses and sell them as new.
--
Airport Shuttle

'' (http://www.yourcityride.com )

Wrong. Flat out WRONG.
If you believe that then I challenge you spend a few hours at a place where bedbugs are established. Go for it if you have the nads.

You betcha. Visitors in Las Vegas carry them home -- unknowingly. Likely those time share places and the critter hikes a ride.
... are you feeling itchy

Calls to exterminators have skyrocketed since the carbamate ban.

You mean /you/ haven't got them, and therefore nobody else does either.
Call any exterminator company in the phone book, and ask them what they see.

Bedbugs live off blood. Where there is blood to be had, they can be there. They couldn't care less about dirt or lack of it.
--
Tegger

Bedbugs can get through the stitching of mattresses and inside the mattress. Also through the areas where box springs covers are stapled down. The bugs are fairly flat and that enables them to slip through small spaces. They will also crawl into the space between the carpet or flooring and the moulding at the base of the wall. Do you have paintings or pictures on your walls? They will get inside those as well. You can't clean or vacuum these spaces. It's got nothing to do with how clean you are. Anyone can get bedbugs.
wrote in message > Bedbugs live off

They like to hide in the inside corners of bedrails, recessed screwholes in nearby furniture, where carpet is tucked under the base molding, ect.

OK so your kid goes to a friends house after school and they do stuff in the friends room - TV, PC, smoke weed, whatever.
Oh lookie here. Some bedbugs that hitched a ride on a backpack tossed on the floor.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/housingandclothing/M1196.html
wrote in message >

OK. They read this and now know the rules.

OK, I have just one question for you...

You think a bug in a screw hole is going to get killed by dusting? Heck, a bug in a screw hole has some chance against a vacuum cleaner, especially if the vacuum cleaner has an attachment covering more than 3 square inches or having a brush!
Who scrubs bed screw holes? Who scrubs carpet, let alone weekly? How good is dusting a carpet? And vacuuming a carpet with most carpet attachments for vacuums won't even clean a carpet of fleas clinging on deep down (but will take some toll), and takes a lesser toll of bedbugs because unlike fleas bedbugs do not have a pupa stage where they are slightly-somewhat-close-to-adult size but nearly inanimate.
What about ways mentioned recently but not repeated here? Such as how bedbugs can find ways into mattresses and boxsprings to shelter in during the many hours that they are not feeding upon their hosts?
What is all the laundering, vacuuming and scrubbing in the world going to do against bedbugs sheltering inside matresses and boxsprings among other places other than vacuuming targets at vacuuming time and laundry targets at laundry time?
Fleas don't bother so much there - fleas spend more time riding their hosts during the 2 of their 5 life cycle stages that they feed upon their hosts.

Except for the ones that shelter where they are safe from vacuuming and scrubbing.

So am I, and I clean like a bachelor.
My house went all summer with only minimal swipes at the kitchen and bathroom, because we had a construction project going in and around the living room. For the most part, the living room and bedrooms went uncleaned (except I washed the sheets in hot water weekly). Nobody died of dirt.
We've both got full-time jobs, and better things to do than keep house like Donna Reed.
Cindy Hamilton
wrote in message news:EoGdneSU

Reed was a pig. June Cleaver said so :-)

Clean children go to school and get a case of head lice or pink-eye.
Check into a hotel room and bedbugs will hitch a ride home, even cockroaches (giant ones from NJ).

I am reminded of the Hawaii Cockroach Rule. Dirty or clean, you're going to have roaches. Dirty ones or clean ones. -----
- gpsman