I'm in a little trouble (switched receptable has dead outlet)

I wanted to replace a switched receptable in the bathroom with a GFCI receptacle. The current one has one outlet, and one switch. The switch controls the bathroom light. The outlet is always hot. The incoming wires number two. Somehow, this combination plus the grounding wire to the box enabled the outlet to stay hot, while controlling the bathroom light separately.
I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to wire this up. Forget the GFCI for now, that got me confused and I abandoned until until I evolve. For right now, I have a receptable with the following:
one brass screw , one silver screw on one side; two brass screws on the other side; a grounding screw.
I have a black wire and a white wire coming in. I have a ground wire attached to the box.
I have wired it currently to enable the bathroom light to go on or off; the outlet is not hot.
Can anyone help me figure this out? I was doing trial-and-error but blew a fuse during one trial that involved the ground going to the switch (yeah, wildly dumb), so I figured I should just stop and step back.
Unfortunately, now The Wife is going to miss blow drying her hair in the bathroom. And that means I'm gonna start missing something real soon.
-R
This was a Rube Golberg arrangement. They used the box ground for the neutral. Dangerous and illegal. Install a single pole switch. Just connect the two wires to the switch. If you need an outlet, install a new feed and GFCI outlet and forget about trying to make that work again

I haven't seen one of those set-ups in quite a while (Thank goodness). If I recall correctly the bathroom light would dim when something is plugged into the receptacle.
RBM is correct. You need to run a separate 12/2 cable to feed a bathroom receptacle. Your current situation is not right. It was probably done by a clueless amateur. Perhaps it is time to call in an electrician.

RBM, John:
Thanks, I appreciate the help in figuring this out. Now I know I'm not crazy (I spent hours trying to figure out how one pair of wires could be both hot and not) and I also know the former owner (twelve years dead) was a complete disaster in terms of home maintenance. This is not the first stupid thing I've encountered in the house.
FYI: In one of the iterations of wiring it (sans ground as neutral), it would dim the lights if the hair dryer ran. Oddly, the light would be brightest when the hair dryer switches (hold/cold and fast/slow/off) apparently drew the most load (makes sense).
I'll see what the Wife wants to do about an outlet in there. If I'm going to get an electrician in, I have a few other items that need tending (new thread coming).
Thanks again.
-R