I'm freezing!

I have a Trane gas central H&C unit. The heat will not come on untill the temp in the house gets below 50 degrees and will stop when it reaches 70. No matter what I have my thermostat set at. I have had a service man come and look at it. I have spent about $500 and the problem still exist. The last time he came out he installed a reset switch on the outside of the unit and said that when it cuts off I could go outside and reset it. Well, that sucks. Especially when you wake up a 2 am in the morning freezing. I asked him if it could be the thermostat and he said no. The unit is about 17 yrs old. He said I need a new unit. What do you think. Am I being Hoodooed or what?
Sounds like a thermostat problem. I'd call another tech to confirm this.
I have a Trane gas central H&C unit. The heat will not come on untill the temp in the house gets below 50 degrees and will stop when it reaches 70. No matter what I have my thermostat set at. I have had a service man come and look at it. I have spent about $500 and the problem still exist. The last time he came out he installed a reset switch on the outside of the unit and said that when it cuts off I could go outside and reset it. Well, that sucks. Especially when you wake up a 2 am in the morning freezing. I asked him if it could be the thermostat and he said no. The unit is about 17 yrs old. He said I need a new unit. What do you think. Am I being Hoodooed or what?
cndlane wrote:

Go to HD, or Lowe's, or even Target or Walmart and buy a new thermostat. I'd go with a digital by Honeywell. It'll probably cost you about 50 bucks. Read the instructions on the package to pick the right one. Follow the installation instructions inside the package carefully. Be warm and happy. Never call that guy again; I don't think he's looking out for your best interests, or he wouldn't have left with a big bill and the problem unresolved. If you're uncomfortable doing it yourself, get a neighbor or relative to help you.
The reset switch outside the unit sounds like some sort of patch. You need a better HVAC tech that can fix the real problem.
In the mean time, I recommend an electric blanket.
Before you set out to buy a 'stat pop the cover off of yours (they usually just pull off - pry the top forward until it clears the tabs and the bottom will drop away). Now count how many wires you have connected to the screws. You might draw a map of the connections or look inside the cover that you just removed. There might be a diagram there. You also might try going to a dedicated supply house and getting some *real help from a knowledgeable person. Spend a little more and get some worthwhile advice instead of relying on us rubes (LOL) here. Oh yea, there is a usenet group for heating and AC where 'real' technicians frequent.
Reset switch outside-2am-troll

The unit is only seventeen years old? Why, I have heard of those units lasting eighty years. I think you're being hoodooed.
Steve
On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 20:18:48 -0600, "cndlane"

You got hoodoed when you put 500.00 smackers into a 17 yo system no matter what is wrong with it.
http://www.thehvacmedic.com - All the free heating and air answers you want!