I'll Tell You A Little Secret About Belt-Stickem

Guys, you know the stuff. It comes in a tube or an aerosol can, and is applied to the underside of fan belts to keep them from slipping. Real sticky stuff, for sure. Well, I discovered two NEW uses for it that worked great for me! One day as I was entering my work-shop, I felt something bump me. I knew right away it was the =91owners=92 of the small wasps nest that I had let stay over the door. The bugsters would occasionally give me their 'warning' by bumping me. I kinda felt SPECIAL that they didn't stinging me, what with them being as big as cockroaches and all. For a second, I even thought they were my FRIENDS! So I felt sorry for the little buggers and let them stay. Big mistake. As I exited that day, one really got me good. Right on the inside of the elbow. End of tolerance. End of wasp nest. Three weeks later though, here they come again. Same spot. On the wooden lintel right smack in the middle of the door. There was just something about that place that they liked and I couldn't think of a way to make them leave for good. I went for the poison but it was all dried up. The only thing in reach was my can of Belt-StickemI grabbed that and let them have it! It did the job on them alright. But unknowingly, some ended up on the wood. And they never came back there again! Didn't like the sticky stuff! And you know what...? It STAYS sticky. For a friggin` year.

The other problem it solved was keeping the ants and other crawly creatures out of my well-pump pressure switch! Anybody who has an outdoor well with and outdoor pressure switch knows just how much of a nuance they can become. You're in the middle of your shower, and suddenly.... no more water! Kewl!!! Outside you storm, dripping wet with your pants on backwards, just knowing what you're going to find when you lift that cover! And sure as hell, that's just what you see! A daisy-chain of electrocuted bull-ants, with a few sandwiched right between your pressure points! Melted metal. Fried. Twenty three dollars down the proverbial drain. But that's where the old miracle cure comes in! You simply apply the Belt Stickem liberally to the underside of the points platform (taking care not to allow any to enter the electrical covering itself). And then a few times up and down the spindle, and then a shot or two to the =91in=92 and =91out=92 exterior wire harnesses. I guarantee you that your ant problem will disappear! They just DO NOT like the sticky stuff! Can't deal with it. Never could, actually. You just didn=92t know about it then. That=92s all.

Aaron Lloyd (Ehrin)

Reply to
Aaron Eel (Ehrin)

PS: It is best to apply the stickem to the underside of the switch platform with the power OFF. Just in case. That should go without saying.

Reply to
Aaron Eel (Ehrin)

Finally, someone uses something "off-label" for pest control that I can agree is a good idea.

Reply to
Bob F

Here's an idea I'm working on. The pet flea-killer "Advantage" contains 9% of [magic chemical] and four 0.4ml treatments of Advantage costs about $45.

However, one can get a 2 oz bottle of 75% [magic chemical], used in termite treatment, for the same $45. With proper dilution, the 2oz bottle should yield over 2000 applications at 9%.

Reply to
HeyBub

Probably only cost you 3 or 4 dogs to get it right.

Reply to
Bob F

Is this still an idea or have you actually killed - errr I mean - tried it on any pets yet?

What did/will you dilute it with?

This site implies that you might not know what else is in the product besides the [magic chemical] (read: imidacloprid) so what is your recipe to make a home-made version of the product?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I hate it when I don't include the link!

DerbyDad03

[magic chemical] and

treatment, for the

applications at 9%.

How about 27.5oz of 21.4% solution for $46.50. It's called Dominion 2L from Pro Pest Products/Do It Yourself Pest Control, Inc. ( doyourownpestcontrol.com ).......Paul

Reply to
catguy

I haven't gotten it yet. The trick is to discover in what it is miscible. In order, I'll try:

  • Distilled water
  • Baby oil
  • Shake well

The object is to get 0.4ml of the diluted [magic chemical] on the animal.

I need ~9% [magic chemical] from something that is 75% [magic chemical]. So it seems an 8:1 dilution is appropriate.

1 ml [magic chemical] + 8 ml solvent yields 9 ml of properly diluted material. At 0.4ml per dose, the 9ml yields about 20 doses. A 2oz bottle of [75% magic chemical] would provide, then, 920 doses.

That much Advantage would cost over $8,000.00.

You raise a good point about 'what else' is in the product, and the question is the same caution raised by the chemists at the company that sells the termite stuff.

I wrote back and asked: "So, what's your definition of 'inert ingredients'?"

No response yet.

Reply to
HeyBub

So why the use of the term "[magic chemical]" when we know its imidacloprid?

re: "The object is to get 0.4ml of the diluted [magic chemical] on the animal."

Based on the weight of the animal of course.

BTW K9 Advantage uses imidacloprid combined with permethrin so I assume you're are dealing with an

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Because I don't know how to spell the real name of [magic chemical].

I used to refrain from writing about some of our political leaders, then I learned how to spell "disembowel."

Reply to
HeyBub

Ooooh! Even better. When I exhaust the approximately 2,000 doses from the 2 oz bottle, I'll give it a look.

Thanks.

Reply to
HeyBub