I like the house COLD at night, but....

Maybe you folks can settle this, where we live is about -20C this time of year, before I go to bed I crank the thermostat down as far as it will go, meaning that the house will be about 13-15C in the morning at this temp, 15-17C if it's around -10 or so outside. We keep the house about +20 during the day when we are home.
Wifey HATES getting up to a house that cold, and tell me it is costing us more in the long run to heat the house back up to 20 or so than it would if we just let it fall to 17-18 range during the night.
Who is right here, her or me?
thanks

You. Basically the losses from the house while you two are sleeping are considerably lower than they would be if you didnt adjust the thermostat when going to bed.
You can get thermostats that have two settings and you can specify the time that each setting applys for, so you can have it warm the house back to 20 say an hour before you normally get up, so she wouldnt notice the lower temp overnight except getting up for a piss etc.

Do any of them average air and wall temps like the Honeywell 8900, so the house can be comfy sooner, with warmer air and cooler walls?
Nick

Thats the result you get with any normal thermostat.

Actually, no...
Hes talking about Smart Recovery, or the like, where the unit learns the temp rise in the home over a given period of time and adjusts the settings automatically in leu of the programmed settings so that if hes got it set for say...75F at 7am, its 75F at 7am, not starting its burn at 7am from say...65F.

message wrote:

OK, but thats nothing like what he said, 'with warmer air and cooler walls'

settings
set
walls'
Missed that part...must be from working in the field so much, and hearing what they say, and figuring out what they mean...

message wrote

wrote

message wrote