I know where to go!

station and he can damn well sell his gas for any price he likes and that hes just taking advantage of a very profitable situation.

It's capitalism at it's finest. God bless the Republican capitalists.

What people are failing to see is that the gasoline price run-up here in California and in states such as Ohio and Florida are the result of our economies in those states getting BETTER under Obama. We can AFFORD $4 gasoline because we have lots of jobs and lots of income.
On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 10:08:54 -0800, "David Kaye"

Now *THAT'S* funny!
We're down to 16% unemployment, compared to a high of about 7% under Bush. Yeah, with all this prosperity, I'm not sure I can handle the exhileration.

Now *THAT'S* funny!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Absolutely.
It's his gas and he can sell it for whatever he can get.
And before you start ranting about "fairness," remember you have no knowledge of what he PAID for his gas. For all you know, he could have paid $299.85 per gallon. Would you insist he lose money because of your indolence and sloth?
Secondly, the gas station you use as an example, probably lies in the projected disaster area. The owner may simply be trying to enhance his ability to rebuild.
Third, the gas station owner could have left at the same time as you, albeit with a full tank, and because his station is now closed, you can't get gas at ANY price. Shouldn't his risk be rewarded?
You Republican hypocrites know how to talk the talk but when in a disaster youre the first ones to sit, cry and scream for your rights under the price gouging laws.
Any proof of this, or is it just a free floating flame?
You Republican hypocrites know how to talk the talk but when in a disaster youre the first ones to sit, cry and scream for your rights under the price gouging laws.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

First, hypocrisy gets a bad rap; 85% of gynecologists are men.
Second, whatever someone charges during a disaster has a VERY low probability of affecting me. I will have done the ant thing, leaving the grasshoppers to fend for themselves.
Third, I'm not sure if I HAVE any rights under price-gouging laws. If I did, I certainly wouldn't insist upon them. If I need something from a vendor who has doubled his price, I'll pay it.
Then I'll try to sell the item for double what *I* paid for it!
That's the American Way.
On 11/5/2012 8:21 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I've thought for a while now that the best way to beat the price gouging complainers and the lawmakers who listen to them is to setup a business that has outrageous prices on things all the time. No one will come in and purchase anything during normal times but when a disaster hits the outrageous price store will have things in stock. Of course anything that may have an expiration date will have to be rotated in inventory by some means like having another normal price store but the outrageous price store could be used as a distributor until disaster hits then it's ready for walk in business. ^_^
TDD
Great wisdom. You only need to hire help every couple years.
I've thought for a while now that the best way to beat the price gouging complainers and the lawmakers who listen to them is to setup a business that has outrageous prices on things all the time. No one will come in and purchase anything during normal times but when a disaster hits the outrageous price store will have things in stock. Of course anything that may have an expiration date will have to be rotated in inventory by some means like having another normal price store but the outrageous price store could be used as a distributor until disaster hits then it's ready for walk in business. ^_^
TDD

Or someone who needed it less got to it first.
Think of hotel rooms in a disaster. You check in and ask the cost. The clerk replies $100/room. Cheap enough so you take one for you and the Misses and another for the kids. It's party time! Well, if it were $200, perhaps you'd have only taken one room and gotten by with the kids in the same room. This leaves a room left for someone else. But lefties would rather the second family sleep in the rain.

Real world -- hotel rents room, for whatever price. FEMA or out of town contractors show up and the current occupants are put on the curb. Been there and watched it happen.
Recent case in NYC hotel pressured to put out folk displaced by Sandy to house folk coming to town for the marathon. Despite pressure from city officials hotel owner refused claming a matter of ethics.

Or the mayor insists on running a race anyway. Government in action. That's why it has to be limited.

They had reservations, which weren't honored in many cases. Yes, it is a matter of ethics.