I just saw a home improvement tip that might work

Page 3 of 5
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 23:09:35 -0500, The Daring Dufas

would outpull their302 and 327 cu inch v8 "brothers" any day of the week in truck service. Used to pull a tri-axle float behind a '68 C30 292 with 22 tons of ag equipment.
On 8/31/2013 11:38 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yea, most folks don't understand the difference in an engine meant for an automobile and an engine made for a truck. I was impressed with the Ford 300 six with an automatic in the Ford Econoline. ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 13:43:57 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Lots of horsepower is good. Torque? Tork? Dork? Many people have no idea.

That's what transmissions are for.

know it makes it's max power at low RPM (below 5250 rpm)
On 8/31/2013 9:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I rebuilt the engine in my dad's 1949 Ferguson tractor that was made for torque and not necessarily horsepower. It was fun and I got rid of the 6 volt generator, converted the electrical system to 12 volts and added a used Chrysler alternator to the old mule. The engine had an updraft carburetor and I believe it would run anything that would evaporate and burn like the piss from a drunk. It was simple to service and really didn't care how you treated it because it would keep on running through the years and lots of abuse from my little brothers. ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 23:43:32 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Standard Vanguard cars of the day, as well as the early TR sports cars --TR2, TR3 and I believe TR4 series. The TR250 was the first to get an "automotive" engine.
On 8/30/2013 8:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I had one 4 terminal ballast resistor fail until I bought the replacement from NAPA that had a sealed back with the resistor wires encased in some sort of white ceramic cement. The OEM module was open in the back exposing the wire wound resistors to the elements which caused them to corrode and burn out. O_o
TDD
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 23:27:51 -0500, The Daring Dufas

failure. It was thermal shock, not corrosion that killed them. They would NEVER let you down when running - they just failed to start.
On 8/31/2013 11:57 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

After I installed the Echlin resistor, I never had another failure. I imagine there were gobs of new resistors winding up in the Autoreilly Zone parts stores that were made in someplace like Taiwan or India. It's a good bet that those cheap ass resistors failed all the time. The new rotors I bought for my Dodge van came from China but the damn brakes have worked OK so far for the past 5 years. ^_^
TDD
I've owned several vehicles over the years. Most lasted 250k to 275k. My one Dodge van threw a piston rod, slant 6. One with 8 cyl didn't run right, my S-10 pickup was rusted to the point of being unsafe.
My work van, Chevrolet with 350, has about 225k, and my Blazer, 4.3, has also about 225k.
Due to the Obama depression, I can't afford to even think about replacing either.
On 8/30/2013 12:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 07:51:11 -0400, Stormin Mormon

You won't have a choice. Obama is going to restart the "cash for clunkers" and confiscate every vehicle with over 100k on them. You will get $100 trade in coupon for it though, and a free phone.
Sadly, Ed, I can easily believe that. Due to the depression, the car makers aren't getting enough sales, especially Government Motors. So, they will mandate we spend all the money we don't have on cars with GPS, tracking, Onstar, and all that.
On 8/31/2013 8:58 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 09:12:34 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Actually, the auto makers are doing quite well - right now. There is a scare in the air because something like half of the new cars are being bought by people over 55. "Due (Obama) to the depression", these are the only people with the money to buy a new car. Auto makers are afraid that it won't change in ten years, when those who are over 55 won't be buying any more new cars.
OTOH, used cars have never commanded as much money. When Obama's new cash for clunkers happens (no doubt he's stupid enough) it'll kill the people he pretends to care about. They still won't figure out that he's not their friend, though. Pass the Obamaphone...
On 8/31/2013 7:58 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What about a pair of shoes? O_o
TDD
Only if the shoes are built by Government Motors, and vote Democrat.

On 8/31/2013 8:29 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yea, it's just a walk in the park for government shoe manufacturers. ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 08:19:56 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Maybe they can find a New York Times in a trash can, somewhere, to stuff in the bottoms.
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 08:33:00 -0400, Stormin Mormon

My pickup's back end completely rotted (leaf springs were resting on the frame) because of the 6-7 years in the VT (and a year of NE OH) salt. I just replaced it with a '13. No salt down here[*], so I should be good for a good long while. ;-)
[*] The drivers are worse, though.
Ideally, drivers in salt country go to the coin operated car wash in the spring, and rinse all the salt from the under side. Some do, some don't.
I've had springs push up into the trunk (1970 Chevrolet Nova) and I could have gotten it welded and a plate put in. I should have. My next car (1974 Dodge Dart) was the first year they used electronic ignition. Would not run when it was wet or raining. The Nova got 16 MPG, the Dart got 10.5 or so MPG. Wish I never bought that Dart, it really was frustrating. Very often would not start due to water, ballast resistor, etc.