i just ran out of propane can i hook up a 30lb tank to get thru turkey day

i just ran out of propane in my 100lb tank and cant afford to fill it till next month i have a full 30lb tank can i hook this up via my regulator on my 100lb tank just to get thru turkey day......

Reply to
Ml

Is this for heating, or water heater, or just the kitchen stove?

A 30lb tank wont last long for heating, but for kitchen range or even a water heater, it should work fine. Just be sure to make the connection tight and proper for safety reasons.

When I lived in a house that used propane for ONLY the water heater and kitchen stove, with a 100lb tank, several times I had to connect it to a

20lb tank, when the 100lb ran out.

I have a trailer house for guests and I run the kitchen stove exclusively from a 20lb cylinder. It works fine and the tank lasts fairly long for occasional use.

If however, you had a 300gallon or larger BULK TANK, you would have to eliminate the FIRST regulator on that Bulk Tank, which would require some adaptor on the pipe. But for a 100lb tank, a 20 or 30lb tank does the same thing and connects the same way.

You'll probably have to sit the tank on a table or something due to the height difference, if you have copper or steel pipe. But if it's a hose, I guess it wont matter as long as it reaches the tank.

Remember, the threads are reversed on those tanks (opposite from normal bolts and pipes).

Reply to
Paintedcow

Probably - based on the assumption that the 30 lb tank has the same hookup fitting as the 100 . My 30 won't work on my camper , it has only the female LH fitting and the camper has only the fitting for the male tanks . Your only other problem might be the difference in height , can be solved using boxes/whatever stacked up to set the small tank on .

Reply to
Terry Coombs
[snip]

I have recently bought a new 20lb propane tank. It has reversed threads on the inside of the connector and larger, forward threads on the outside. Newer hoses and regulators use the forward threads.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Yea, thats some new fangled thing that's supposed to make connecting a device easier for dummies that cant use a wrench! Good or bad, I have no comment thus far. I have not yet seen any of the devices that are made for this. But I know they make them.

Reply to
Paintedcow

There's a difference between "cant (sic) use a wrench" and "don't need to use a wrench".

When they came up with the new connector, I'm pretty sure it wasn't invented just for "dummies". I'm pretty sure "convenience" had something to do with it.

When they invented gas/electric stoves, was that to make it easier for dummies that couldn't start a wood fire?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No, it is for the new QCC standard (Quick Closing Couler), with the over-flow shut-off and other safety devices - mandated in the US on all vertical tanks up to 40 lbs as of April 2002 to replace the old Prest-O-Lite" POL valves.

Reply to
clare

If you really want to flagellate yourself look in alt.hvac for his past postings. He is one of the few that I have kf because he has given out dangerous advice and admitted to scamming old folks. As my buddy says: He is a waste of skin. I can take abuse but I don't tolerate immoral acts of any kind. He has been told about his actions but yet refuses to improve his any other life. At this point I have given up determining whether he is a troll or idiot. I urge everyone to kf him and look for his posts to correct the inaccuracies and malfeasance. If this was a moderated group he would have been on his comet a looong time ago.

Reply to
Tekkie®