I invented a 2-phase DC battery pack

Here's what my genius mind came up with.

First I obtained a standard D-cell battery pack that holds 2 batteries in series.

Next I installed a center tap between the two batteries in the battery pack.

So now I have a series battery pack with three terminals:

L1 is the (-) negative terminal on battery A N is the center or neutral tap between battery A and B L2 is the (+) positive terminal on battery B

So to prove I have 2-phase DC, I connected a dual-trace oscilloscope as follows:

The reference leads from both probes were connected to the center neutral tap. Probe A was connected to L1 Probe B was connected to L2

As I expected, the scope showed a 1.5 volt positive phase trace and a 1.5 volt negative phase trace.

Clearly I have 3 volt 2 phase DC.

The only thing left to do is submit my paper to IEEE.

Reply to
Emma Genius

Next on your to do list is Fire or the Wheel?

Reply to
NotMe

Reply to
Steve Kraus

I may try to patent the idea though I'll admit my 2-phase DC has a lot of similarities with trader4's 2-phase AC.

Reply to
Emma Genius

Hmm, DC circuit has no phase. It has polarity.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is....I mean 'phase' is.

Reply to
Slick Willy

LOL! Best post of the year!

Reply to
krw

Thank you! :-)

Reply to
Emma Genius

Connect a vibrator from an old tube type car radio and with the proper transformer and circuitry, you can make AC voltage. There was a time when the word "vibrator" described an integral component of vehicle mounted tube type electronic equipment. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

And connected to a 6 volt bosch ignition coil was an easy way to put over 40,000 volts, 115cps power on the leading edge of a hood for a very effective "burglar alarm"

Reply to
clare

There was a time when the word "vibrator" described an integral component of vehicle mounted tube type electronic equipment. ^_^

Would that be single or 2 phase AC?

Reply to
Alex

Well, it's now an optional add-on but it's still a type of tube that gets mounted.

Reply to
krw

A perfect analogy. DC is simply AC with a frequency of zero!

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Depending on how you look at it, DC doesn't exist in the real world. It's just a very low frequency AC. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Maybe Elon Musk will put them on his new cars?

A 2 phase 40kV peak-to-peak 115 cps DC alarm system sounds impressive. ;-)

Reply to
Nikola Tesla

Hmmm, So there is no phase to speak of.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, If I measure battery output with 'scope, I don't see any slightest sign of wave form. Not even a noise. How come? We have distinctively separate DC and AC thpory. Ever heard of impedance in DC circuit? It is resistance only. If that is not the cae, we have to redo all the theories.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The theories are good, you just need education on them.

One simple thing is the old teletype machines. They work by turning DC and on off in period of around 22 miliseconds to select the leters to be printed. The coils have an inductance of around 1 henry. While they will pull in the levers with as little as 10 volts, it will be too slow for correct printing. It takes so long for the DC to make its way through the coil and the maximum magnetic field to be generated. One way around it is to use around 150 volts and a series resistance of 2500 ohms. This keeps the overall current down but lets the levers pull in faster.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Then you have no clue what you're doing with an oscilloscope. I use mine on "DC" signals daily.

You're incompetent?

Absolutely. You've never heard of a "Thevinin impedance"?

Wrong. It has an impedance. AT DC, it has only a real part but again, DC doesn't exist in the real world.

No, you just have to learn something. The theories are all cool with reality.

Reply to
krw
[snip]

It's always possible someone will turn the batteries around every year. What you have then is a 32 nHz (nanohertz) square wave.

Reply to
sam E