I have no water

About a week ago my water stopped coming into house. This is another fix upper which I shut the water off when I leave. This was at the end the extreme Cold spell average zero, two weeks ago. been looking for water each day inside.

There is no dripping out of inside shutoff ball valve. I listened to pipe, no sounds. No visible outside water accumulation. I'm trying t find the outside shutoff, since some gravel was added, and now iced up. Today I pushed plastic tubing thru ball and feed pipe. I think it went all the way to outside shutoff.

Next week calling water company after I locate shutoff. Mystified. In see a cutout of laid asphalt across street. Blue arrow on top. The gas and water lines were marked by first call in the fall. I had to get new gas lined installed about 15 foot or less.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Roger. Code 8.

Reply to
micky

That sounds like totally no fun. NYS is doing the deep freeze again, and we should be down to about 5F tonight. I'm planning to leave the hot dripping at my kitchen sink. But, that does not sound like an option for you, if your line is frozen.

Around here, I think water dept uses blue paint, yellow for natural gas lines.

I hope you don't have a burst line, and that things work out for you when it warms up.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Be a long wait for warmth. Im mentally unstable. I'm tired of cleaning snow and ice off car, cleaning driveway, huddled in living room with space heater. I got cabin fever. Wish I was in a cabin so I could play with fire.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Most of the time the shutoff is at the meter. Do you have a meter? I think if you can push a snake or wire through then there is equipment that can trace it.

Reply to
jamesgang

gregz,

A week ago? Have you been paying your bill? What does the water company say about this?

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Sounds to me like it froze the supply...or, I once't had a house where the contractor buried the pressure reducing valve inline about 5-ft from the meter and it failed shut. That was a real joy as he couldn't remember having done so so didn't even know which end of the feedline it was located but "sorta' thought" they'd put one in, somewhere...

That was in spring a day after brought home the new baby in a period of nearly a week of solid rain. Great fun to dig in soaked red E TN clay--not. At least it was 40F+, not -10F.

Reply to
dpb

Yes, I can understand that. Time to saw a hole in the roof and blow the dust off your old surplus rifle? You know, the one you brought home from Cambodia in your duffel bag?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not sure how run is installed. I'm guessing everything is ok on my end. I was thinking of pushing camera through, but I would have to take off inside shutoff valve inside next to meter. I could not locate outside shutoff valve today. Going to use metal detector tomorrow.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I have not contacted company yet. Trying to troubleshoot my end. Had they shut It off, I would have seen digging through ice and gravel.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The water company's main valve is not at the meter? Usually they are in the same underground enclosure, but I have seen all sorts of stupid things...

Reply to
Steve F.

Not at my house. There's a shutoff just before the meter, both of which are in my basement. There's also a "main shutoff" out in the front yard.

Just the other day, a co-worker was describing a problem he had with the shutoff near the meter in his basement. He called the town's water authority and they closed the "main shutoff" in his yard so he could repair the shut off in his basement.

My dad's house, and my sister's house, which are in a different state than me, are both setup the same way.

I don't think any of those setups are "stupid".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's because you are a disagreable sort. :)

Reply to
Steve F.

I disagree. :-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The gas hookup is similar here. The meter has it's own shutoff, and is now always outside. New installations also have the main shutoff inline with meter, so it's easier to find. On my space, the main shutoff are about 25 feet away. The problem house has shutoffs, not even 15 feet from house.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Here, water meters were always inside. They still have some walk up, outside inductive read points. My current house was converted to radio transmission. Truck just goes down the street. They were trying that with some electric meters, but I think there were problems. A small outside water leak could suck up water companies water without payment. That would be stupid.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Mine wasn't. It was under the house. The contractor I had who replaced the broken pipe to the mainline after the repair two years ago didn't hold, put a new one in for me near the front door. He said there was no way I would have ever found it. And there is no way I am going under that house!

Reply to
Julie Bove

At my parents house, valve on either side of the meter in the cellar. Out near the street is the curb valve.

Much the same setup, a friend of mine has or had a house across the city from my parents.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm all for troubleshooting a reasonable amount before calling a utility company, but the water has been off for a week and it sounds like you've done a lot more than most people would do before calling the water company. They have gear and lots of experience in this kind of thing. Plus you're apparently saying this coincided with a new cut/patch in the asphalt with a blue mark across the street.

Reply to
trader4

On 2/9/2014 1:34 AM, gregz wrote: ...

That would be typical if meter in house...don't know your jurisdiction rules but generally in locations where I've been on central supply as opposed to own well, the utility considers everything up to the meter "theirs" and from there on "yours". If you don't have water at the meter, I'd think it's their problem.

Then again, all the locations I've been at have had the meter at the branch from the main so the run from there to the house is _not_ the utility's responsibility. Hence the situation I described earlier wherein a rogue self-styled contractor hid the reducing valve inline near the meter. A test similar to what you described earlier would have come to the same conclusion that everything is/was fine to the meter 'cuz there would have been no way to judge that what hit wasn't the meter, not a reducing valve nor _precisely_ where that was, not knowing exactly the path the line took when it was laid.

IOW, don't throw out the possibility of the unexpected...

Reply to
dpb