I have an Opossum in storage building (to get rid of)!

Page 2 of 3
On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 8:48:02 AM UTC-5, dgk wrote:

When we finally got a flat screen I put the old tube tv out on the curb.
Next morning there were two more with it. I kid you not.
Drove around the neighborhood, found somebody else with a tv, dumped all three by his curb when nobody was around.

So two wrongs make a right?
On 2/17/2015 3:56 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Three lefts do.

When I was still in high school, for some anti-drug lecture they passed around a plate with two joints on it. When it came back, there were three.
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 15:45:38 -0500, Stormin Mormon

    Yet another house built for Nippo-Americans. Lots of space too, for the children to play in. If it gets too overgrown, might I suggest fingernail cutters ?     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Frank Zappa used it to raise dental floss.
On 2/13/2015 9:38 AM, dgk wrote:

I don't know about NYC but here in Delaware rabies is endemic and any one bitten by a wild animal or stray dog or cat is advised to tell the authorities. They will capture the animal and examine it but if the animal cannot be found the bitten person is advised to get the rabies vaccine. Happened to one of my wife's friends living in Pittsburgh who got scratched or bitten by a bat.
A few years ago, a nearby nature center had a caged raccoon found to be rabid and people there had to be vaccinated. Several people in a local development were bitten by a rabid fox and also got vaccinated.
Your cats should be vaccinated, particularly if you let them run outside.
dgk wrote:

There are possums in NYC? I grew up around Troy and they were just something you read about or might see in a zoo. Well, there's everything else in the city, might as well have possums too. Are the armadillos there yet?

Growing up here in central Ontario we never saw 'possum, but apparently they hitch-hiked up on trucks crossing the border - they hang on with their 4 paws and their prehensile tails - more with the tails in fact- and drop off on the road.
They don't over-winter well so they have not become terribly numerous -commonest place to find them is dead on the road just down-road from a bump.
My brother has prodded quite a few off the undercarriage of his semi over the years. (used to do a lot of transcontinental runs - texas, georgia, Florida, Cali, etc to all over Canada.
On 2/14/2015 12:17 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

years ago.
--
Froz...

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

afaik I never gave one a ride. Looking for possums wasn't part of my daily equipment checks though. THe big thing when I was driving was fire ants. I you came out of Georgia they'd stop you at the port of entry, open the trailer doors, and look for ants. The theory was the ants would congregate at the doors for fresh air. That sounded lame to me. 53' of carpet stuffed in up to the roof is a lot of area for ants to hide.

Whereabouts in NYC do you live? If you give the address I'll drop by, but if you give only the gneneral area, my curiosity will be satisfied.

Flushing. We're maybe 10 blocks from a cemetary so rumor has it that the critters live there and come by to visit us.

I stayed in Flushing the last time I was in NY.
At the Y.
And 35 years ago, two of my neighbors in the building in Brooklyn moved to a retirement home in Flushing. It might have had a religious affiliation. They were both old and I thought they were just roommates, but it turned out that one of them was the nurse for the other, and probably younger, but they both grew older together.

And often the damage supposedly done by possums is actually done by raccoons, but the raccoons leave and the possums get the blame.
It's Possum - not 'Opossum'.
On 02/11/2015 06:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I am not a possum.
On 2/12/2015 4:42 AM, Punxsutawney Phil wrote:

Bow hunting near Punxsy I popped a couple of Phil's relatives. Taste like chicken.

You sure?
opossum [uh-pos-uh m, pos-uh m]
Examples Word Origin
noun, plural opossums (especially collectively) opossum. 1. a prehensile-tailed marsupial, Didelphis virginiana, of the eastern U.S., the female having an abdominal pouch in which its young are carried: noted for the habit of feigning death when in danger. 2. any of various animals of related genera.

Opossum is correct. Might also mention that opossum and raccoon are best when roasted.