I guess this more of a question for burglars than home owners

Page 1 of 2
How often to you think a burglar actually uses a hidden key to break in homes?
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 08 Sep 2015 21:50:57 -0400, Seymore4Head

I use one about a quarter of the time.
Burglar12
--

Stumpy Strumpet
the bimbus
On 9/8/2015 9:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@burglar.net wrote:

That's why I took the key from under the mat and put it in the fake rock next to the step, the only rock there. Ha, you'll never find it.
On 09/08/2015 09:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Never use a place you heard about somewhere, especially in public. Never use an item sold for the purpose of hiding keys.
--
107 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

When we lived in the country, we let our dog -- a large Australian Shepherd not friendly with strangers -- run loose when we were away. The spare key was on his collar...
On Tue, 08 Sep 2015 21:50:57 -0400, Seymore4Head

Whenever they can find one. I bet the good ones are pretty good at finding them too.
On 9/8/2015 8:50 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:

Our free range Rottweiler said that it rarely happened. Anything inside the bounds of the Invisible Fence he was allowed to keep.
We generally went along with him but did give the mail carrier and the ComEd meter reader back. They are expensive to maintain.

Is the house key on the dog's collar?
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Inside the bounds of ..... I think not. That is not free range. Our dog just roams our yards. No invisible bound.

On 9/9/2015 10:13 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

An acre and a half was free range to him. I'm a good neighbor and some people don't like dogs, some people are uneasy around big dogs (and tipping the scales at better than 115 lbs - he qualified), and my dog(s) belong on MY property, not yours.
In both instances - yes, it really happened - the meter reader and the mail lady were both in areas inaccessible to the dog. They saw him and he saw them. Instant fear on their part, got him into his guard mode.
Rottie's are herders and have to be trained to be attack dogs. They will willing let you into the house but lordy, just try and leave. Ain't gonna happen unless their owner agrees or they are socialized with the "offender."
Roman legions bred them to herd cattle in their conquests to feed the troops. Once they took prisoners, the dogs became their keepers.
Anyhow, my eighty year old neighbor lady heard, on both occasions, the commotion - mainly from the captives, came over and called Rommel to her side and allowed the prisoners to leave.<g>
On 09/08/2015 08:50 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:

I don't know but not too far from me is a house with quite a sturdy "burglar door". Directly next to it and about 3 feet above the porch steps is a totally unprotected and large window.
It would take a burglar three seconds to get in the house.
Even funnier is a recycling center that has a tall chain linked fence with concertina wire on top...but a *huge* gap in the fence directly adjacent to the gate.
Finally:
One of my former co-workers once told me someone broke into his unlocked car.
On 9/9/2015 5:06 AM, philo wrote:

Someone "entered" my unlocked car. Two different occasions. The first time I lost a can of oil in the back seat. Other card near me that were locked had broken windows, scratches, similar damage. I had none.
The second time the thief opened the glove box and pulled out some stuff and left it on the floor. I do keep valuables in there, such as a pencil and an old screwdriver.
IMO, keep the valuables out of the car and leave it unlocked. The pro will steal it no matter what protection you think you have and the amateur will cause damage if locked.

We had a car hopper here and I trapped him. I took a picture of a $2 bill and left it in the console. When it was stolen I gave the cops the picture and sent then to the shop and rob at the end of the street. The bill was under the cash drawer and they remembered who gave it to them. Once the cops knew who they were looking for, they caught him for a whole string of burglaries.

Clever idea, the $2 bill
On 9/9/2015 2:35 PM, philo wrote:

The poster is admitting in public (on an open forum) that he prints counterfeit money.
Lean into the microphone, and tell us how much illegal money you printed, please?

There are $2 U.S. bills. The one I have has a portrait of Thomas Jefferson. I think the idea was to get rid of the dollar bill. Remember the Susan B. Anthony dollar coins?

On 9/9/2015 7:58 PM, Dean Hoffman snorted:

I think the Susan B was supposed to last longer than the paper bills. Save the treasury a lot of bother printing the weaker dollar bills that don't last as long.
Someone used to print political lampoon $3 bills, and I had a lot of fun giving them out.
They may still be available.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

https://www.facebook.com/t.seput
I think the Susan B was supposed to last longer than the paper bills. Save the treasury a lot of bother printing the weaker dollar bills that don't last as long.
Someone used to print political lampoon $3 bills, and I had a lot of fun giving them out.
They may still be available.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus

They just confused people if I remember correctly. The edge had an odd shape plus the coin was a slightly different color than a quarter. Neither made it distinguishable enough for busy people.

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 16:45:07 -0400, Stormin Mormon

I doubt you can call a black and white picture about twice the normal size a counterfeit.