I gouged the board!

Damn. I was installing some baseboards around a new patio door, and I gouged one of them (already nicely stained and varnished) with the drill chuck.

I am not good at this. Can you explain to me how I can magically remove the marks? Do I lightly sand, restain, the problem area? The whole thing?

Thanks.

Reply to
Espor

Buy a new board, and get a better carpenter. Otherwise just put ducttape on the spot with the installed date written on it.

Reply to
Generic Male Homosapien

That's what I'd do, in a heartbeat. Let's be honest: it's real easy to overestimate exactly how much time you spend looking at your baseboards. Once you stop working on the project and get back to daily living, you'll never see it.

Reply to
The Gnerd

I was thinking the reverse - that you would see the flaw every time you walk past it - because you know it is there - while everyone else would not see it. Can you put a chair or potted plant in front of it?

Is the gouge through the stain? How deep it is?

I'd put some stain to darken the gouge if it show light, then a touch of finish over it. No one will notice and after a few days, you won't either. A few months ago I put new flooring in my family room and a hallway. I took out all the old baseboards and was trying to decide if I should put all new back. What I did was to rub over them with stain where the marks were, put a fresh coat of poly and put them back. From across the room they look just fine.

Your ego is probably bruised more than the wood. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

if you steam wood with an iron (through a towel), you can frequently remove slight dents. i can't tell how deep they are from here, but it's something to try.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

The ego can be fixed too. Go to an engraving company. Have a gold plaque made with your name engraved in it, and the date you installed the baseboard. Spend a couple thousand bucks on the engraving (use real gold), and screw it over the gouge. Everyone will look at the plaque and never know about the gouge.

There, now dont that make your ego feel better?

Reply to
kneedme