I got a problem:(

Page 1 of 2
I got at least one RAT in my house. Right now its eating my dogs food. Its a well fed healthy looking rat running between my bedroom and the kitchen with the dogs food and water.......
my dogs appear RATher frightened. they have wedged my girl friend on the sofa perhaps for protection?
I guess I will go trap shopping in the morning.....
this although humorous kinda unnerves me, i may sleep somewhere else tonight..........
no this isnt a joke.........
bob haller wrote:

Hi, Where are you located? You have rat? None here, only mice. Province of Alberta is officially rat free since '60s. We killed them all. We have official rat patrol costing millions a year.
harry wrote:

For the same reason we have prisons even though the crime rate is down.

You lefties wish, but it's the Democrats who are going to enjoy their stay at the graybar resort.

All you ever wanted to know about rats and rat control
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74106.html
Walter-- www.rationality.net
On 3/12/2012 1:03 AM, bob haller wrote:

got a .22 ?
--
Steve Barker

I think most people have had mice in the house, especially rural people, but if I had a rat in the house, I'd be sleeping at a friends house, or in my car, or anywhere but in that house. Rats are disgusting, not to mention they can bite and carry diseases. Set traps, provide poison, or just call an exterminator. In all honesty, I'd rather have a wolf or bear in the house than a goddamn rat. I absolutely hate rats.
And maybe the right dog (like a rat terrier) will kill a rat, but cats wont touch them. They just eat mice.
PS. If you use poison, please keep your dog outdoors or somewhere else. Dogs and cats will eat the poison too.
Oh yea, there must be a hole for the rats to come in, find it, and nail tin over it.
Good luck.... you need it!!!!
<...snipped...>

Not true, while some cats won't hunt anything, others can be very good at killing rats or even larger animals like rabbits and squirrels.

Larry W wrote:

Towser (Guiness Book of Records holder) is credited with killing 28,898 mice, SEVERAL RATS, a few rabbits, and a pheasant or two.

The thing you have to remember about Towser the wonder cat was he never made a dent in the rat population. They breed up to the food supply and a predator or even a bunch of predators will not keep up.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yep. On a related matter, If my cat was bringing me an average of three mice per day, I believe I would have hired a helper-cat.
(As I recall, the Glennturrent Distillery, Towser's employer, hired THREE replacement cats when Towser used up her ninth life.)
<...snipped...>

Not necessarily. While some cats won;t hunt anything, others can be be very good indeed at killing rats or even larger animals like rabbits and squirrels.

The first thing Billy the Exterminator will tell you is to put away the dog food.
If you saw one, there are probably others. I'd have a half dozen traps set around.
Good luck.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What he said. Go buy a bag of traps and a jar of peanut butter and have at it.
Jon

-snip-
got a Harbor Freight around? Their rat sized box traps are $6 this week [down from 10] http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch-l-x-5-1-2-half-inch-w-x-5-1-2-half-inch-h-collapsible-small-animal-trap-94397.html
-snip-

Google for the thread where Steve and I were discussing drowning traps for squirrels-- a lot bulkier than the live traps, but disposal is easier.
I'd go with a few of the HF live traps-
Jim

hey thanks i honestly never thought of harbor freight.
so far tonight my trap has seen no action:(
On Mar 13, 10:46pm, "Jon Danniken"

I have 3 dogs including one puppy who gets into everything. the vet bill wouldnt be affordable. let alone seeing any of my furry friends get hurt.'
today i am going to harbor freight

Like others have said, remove any foods from the floor, draws, shelves that are open or easy to chew thru. Set several traps in out of sight places (less lit) and maybe do some poison (???). I hesitate on the poison tho because you don't want them to die inside the house especially in the wall or attic due to the lingering smell. I think there are poisons that take a while to work and maybe these are the kind you want. On the otherhand, the traps may be good enough. We once had a baby rat in our finished basement (funny story to this but I won't go into it) and we left several traps on some hidden shelfs) and we had left for that weekend (normal plans) and when we came home that weekend, sure enough one trap had one dead baby rat. We lived in a 4 plex and apparently the baby rat came thru the top of the concrete wall so we plugged that hole with steel wool. They don't chew thru steel wool so problem went away. At the time we lived about 4 or 5 houses away from a diner and I know they had rats in the back where the dumpsters were kept (NYC).

rats are near sighted, follow their paths they've scented, usually along walls etc
to find paths use a black light, the urine stains glow.
A rat exterminator once bragged to me that he caught rats all the time using snap traps WITHOUT bait, just by knowing where to put them and leaned them up against the walls, so the critters would 'bump' into them.
Heard that food production facilities that are NOT allowed to use poisons routinely place bowls of coca cola out for the rats, Since rats have no belching mechanism, they die from CO2 rupturing their insides. So, in the morning the food producer employees would simply go around and scoop up the dead rats gathered around the soda bowls. haven't verified, but makes a great story.
Not verified here, either. http://www.maricopa.gov/EnvSvc/VectorControl/RR/RRPrevention.aspx Great story, I agree.