I don't understand why my phone system does what it does.

Page 4 of 4
mm wrote:

Generally, the phone companies are not interested in fixing anything unless service is actually out or there is some hazard for which they could get sued. I have reported trees that had fallen over and were held up by nothing more than the phone cable. They told me that they would not do anything unless it came down.
on 8/26/2007 7:12 PM M Q said the following:

If they were notified of the danger, and the tree fell and struck someone, because the wires could no longer hold the tree up. I bet a good lawyer would make a few bucks off it.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Bingo.
I was dispatched to a rural home whose aerial "drop" ran through a grove/thicket of scrub trees. The drop was stretched so tight that the insulation had pulled away from the "p-clamp", exposing - and SHORTING - the pair.
Knowing I would replace the drop anyway, I simply reached up and clipped the taut drop. It snapped briskly back toward the thicket. A minute later there was a loud crash back there. A ~30-foot, dead tree had been laying against the old drop and, when the wire was cut, the tree fell.
BTW, no one was back there but it still made noise!
--
:)
JR

BTW, I'm convinced because my speeds went up quite high for a few months while the cable was still on the ground and maybe even under water.
Then later it went down again. I'm looking into highspeed.

At least they told you! Maybe it was on your property, but in my case it was at the entrance to the n'hood a 200 x 80 foot stretch of grass that is used by dogs and children. (I think everyone picks up after their dog. :) )

If your service is working, albeit submerged at times and laying on the ground at other times, they do not view the issue as out-of-service. If your service, despite the crappy conditions you list, is working particularly well, your issue is not even statused as "service affecting". Translation: Don't hold your breath. That THEIR property is flapping in the breeze or submerged is THEIR problem, not yours, as long as you're getting what you're paying for.
Wotta business model. <sigh>
--
:)
JR

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 22:26:28 -0500, Jim Redelfs

LOL
Like I say, I could have lived with that, even been fine with it, but they didn't tell me until I happened to see a truck out there checking on it after my fourth call. This at least a year after I first called and at least a year before they fixed it.
There are probably work orders still running around and every year or two one comes to the front of the queue and they send someone out to look at the problem, but he can't find it.
Maybe it's because it was semi-public** property and not my own lot. That is, I think the apartment building nearby owns it, or the HOA, but I don't.
I think my problem is solved. I bit the bullet and went under my house (crawl space) this PM, and found some 4" water! Seems my pressure tank's pressure valve/gauge was acting like a water pump, spewing water everywhere. Why this did not trip the breaker I don't know! God knows how long that has been going on. I replaced the valve/gauge, and evacuated most of the water with his sump pump, It probably will take several days to dry out under there! Almost immediately the phone buzzing stopped. Now the phones are all fine. They must have been submerged.
Now I have to put all the phone face plates etc back in place, not to mention all the furniture. Wife is talking divorce.
Thanks ALL!
Jethro

That your water system did not trip a breaker is probably a GOOD thing from a safety standpoint.

Did you hear the pump occasionally cycling in the middle of the night, when no one was using the water?

That's too bad. Get out the fans, I guess. (You couldn't GIVE me a house without a basement based on maintenance accessibility and safety.)

If the phone cables were submerged, that means they were not attached properly to the joists above. This is very poor technique. You may eventually have to replace one or more of the cables anyway. They gradually succumb to operating in a humid environment, even if they are not laying on the ground.
Moisture finds its way into the smallest defect in the outer sheath of the cable. One inside the cable, it STAYS wet within that area of cable for a long time, eventually destroying the cable at that location.

Did you paint while they were off? <grin>

Congratulations! <bigger grin>
Sell the place NOW while the phone cable still works. HA!
--
:)
JR

Climb poles and dig holes
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 07:22:23 -0500, Jim Redelfs

The way I look at it, if it had tripped a breaker, I would not have had any water (no pump) and would have looked for cause immediately. As it was, I had no idea since I was getting water okay. The 110V for the gauge/valve was taken from one side of the 220V line for the pump. That may be why the 220V pump breaker did not trip.

No - it is under the house, out of earshot.

I have to agree there.

When it dries out, I certainly will look things over. Since I am somewhat disabled, though, that is going to be a problem.

You had to tell me that!

No <grin>

<big bigger grin>

Now that's a thought, With housing market the way it is though, that is not an option. My place is paid for!
Thanks for helps & thoughts.
Jethro
Jethro wrote:

... After all of this discussion, and even several posts from myself, my power went out today, and with it my phone service. No dial tone, but strangely DSL kept working. Sometime more than 5 minutes but less than 30 minutes after power restoration, the phone service comes back. In the mean time, I called Verizon and they were going to send a technician out in two days.
I guess that I am off to fight with the phone company over this. If need be, I will play the 911 card.