I cried...

I have never cared one tiny little bit what consenting adults do in private and I never will. It is when they shove it in my face and expect me to condone it in every way that I object. I also object when the consequences of others actions become my responsibility to pay for.

Reply:

Amen to that. I mind mostly when I must also act like it's agreeable to me. Like someone shoving dog doo under my nose and saying, "My, doesn't this smell wonderful?"

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I also mind when people burn and stomp our flag. Or show disrespect to our country or our moms and dads who died defending it. If that makes me any less of an American, then I guess I'm not up to being one of the "new" Amerikans.

Oh, yes. I'm an American. I served my country. I vote. I pay taxes. I observe the law. I put a flag on my father's grave every Memorial day at the military cemetery. But I'm an old American. We don't consider everything under the sun to be a "right", but classify some things as privileges and honors. And to be handled as such.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I also don't let them run away and pout just because the get what's coming to them.

Yeah, they were. When we vote for the politicians simply because they belong to one party or the other, because they are white or black, because they are good looking, or any of a host of reasons beyond their ability to represent the views of the voter, we get what we deserve.

Reply to
BobR

When a politician gets to Washington, it doesn't matter much whether he's liberal or conservative, whether he's selfish or has the best interests of his district foremost. What counts is which side of the aisle.

The very first vote a congressman makes is for Speaker of the House. That vote is always along party lines and the outcome has more effect on subsequent legislation than any individual bill that comes before the body.

Consider John Dingell, a Michigan congressman. He's a life member of the NRA and a strong supporter of gun rights. But as a Democrat, was obligated to vote for Nancy Pelosi as Speaker. She, as Speaker, controlled subsequent committee appointments and chairmen. These folks, in turn, controlled all bills coming before the House, including those involving guns.

It's the same in any parliamentary or quasi-parliamentary system. In other words, it's not so much the position of the individual representative, but the views of people with whom he associates that determines.

Reply to
HeyBub

Then I think you don't want to know what goes on at my house.

Except for the beets. We don't eat them (or do anything else with them, for that matter).

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Wow.. Pass the cool aide? Now you can elect justices that will guarantee the right to continue butchering babies??

Funny how the lefties call it butchering and inhumane when PETA whines about pigs and cows; But when it's innocent babies it's an abortion 'performed' by a licensed physician in a 'clinical' setting..LMAO...

I, somehow, doubt the baby involved is seeing it as a 'performance' ..And how about those partial live birth abortions... More 'convienent; phrases. Call it what it is - the baby lives and they kill it anyway..

They love words of convience don't they? Now you're making me cry...

-------------------------------------- From: snipped-for-privacy@forteinc.com ..with joy and relief, as I looked out on the crowds in Grant Park celebrating the election of our new president. So many people -- young and old, black and white, had tears running down their faces Obama's speech was just like him -- direct, simple, eloquent, and quintessentially American. He called us to work for the common good -- not to go shopping. The "relief" I felt comes partly from lifting the terrible fear that hung over me for so long: That the next president would appoint Supreme Court justices who would send our beloved country even further down the road to a quasi-totalitarian state ruled -- as it has been for the last eight years -- by unchecked corporate greed unmatched in my (long) voting memory. Now, Justice Stevens, at 88, may feel it safe to retire, and Justice Souter may leave the Court where he has not lately been too happy. The cabal of Scalia, Thomas, Alito and Roberts will be on the OTHER side of the 5-4 decisions that have so cynically sold us out on every aspect of our lives. People don't often stop and think how directly their lives are affected by the Supreme Court's decisions. Now we have hope that our new President, governing from the center, will nominate centrist Justices who don't cynically interpret the Constitution for the benefit of religious fanatics, corporate thieves and anti-environmental hatchetmen. Obama - You're going to need all the luck in the world, bringing together a divided nation "The Audacity of Hope" -- he was already looking far, far ahead.

Reply to
in2-dadark

originally posted by limeylew "We now have REAL hope for the future."

I totally agree. Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at

Jmmv08

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:9459-4914FA5B-76@storefull-

3272.bay.webtv.net:

cool aide? LOL

Reply to
SteffanKing

HeyBub:

Including those who are ignorant of the Bill of Rights, or support those who would gladly abolish it.

Reply to
Mac Cool
:

For 8 years the Republicans have dominated all 3 branches of government and yet did not put any significant effort into overturning Rowe vs Wade. But now all of sudden its a big deal again. Hypocrites. They don't want to overturn RvW, they need it as a hot button issue to swing votes and fill coffers.

Reply to
Mac Cool

No, you go to war when you know you'll win. Until the Supreme Court is a certain 7-2, neither side is willing to risk the fight.

You're correct about wanting the controversy, not the victory. There are too many people whose livelihood depends on the continuing controversy.

Reply to
HeyBub

But "hope" is not usually a reliable strategy.

In the British military, there was a tactic called The Forlorn Hope, sometimes known simply as the "hope." Sometimes it worked.

You can read about it here:

HeyBub

The political parties reflect the extremes of their respective ideologies not the mean.

Reply to
George

It's all about the taxes and the benefits.

Reply to
badgolferman