I cried...

Page 6 of 7

Sigh. I don't let my grandchildren use the "he hit me first" excuse. Why should I let politicians?

Both sides were being very childish. Three, count them, three special sessions to redistrict. Meanwhile, they were busy ignoring school financing. We really need politicians that put country (or state) ahead of party. They seem to be equally scarce on both sides of the aisle.
-- Doug

I also don't let them run away and pout just because the get what's coming to them.

Yeah, they were. When we vote for the politicians simply because they belong to one party or the other, because they are white or black, because they are good looking, or any of a host of reasons beyond their ability to represent the views of the voter, we get what we deserve.
BobR wrote:

When a politician gets to Washington, it doesn't matter much whether he's liberal or conservative, whether he's selfish or has the best interests of his district foremost. What counts is which side of the aisle.
The very first vote a congressman makes is for Speaker of the House. That vote is always along party lines and the outcome has more effect on subsequent legislation than any individual bill that comes before the body.
Consider John Dingell, a Michigan congressman. He's a life member of the NRA and a strong supporter of gun rights. But as a Democrat, was obligated to vote for Nancy Pelosi as Speaker. She, as Speaker, controlled subsequent committee appointments and chairmen. These folks, in turn, controlled all bills coming before the House, including those involving guns.
It's the same in any parliamentary or quasi-parliamentary system. In other words, it's not so much the position of the individual representative, but the views of people with whom he associates that determines.
Douglas Johnson wrote:

The leadership did other things, too, like cancel the Democratic member's cell phones. The theory was that if the members were in New Mexico or Oklahoma and not attending to state business, they didn't need parking places or state cell phones.
Redistricting IS partisan. Before redistricting, the breakdown was 17-15 in favor of the Democrats. After redistricting, the result was 21-11 in favor of the Republicans.

I think they split up. House members went to a motel in New Mexico, Senate members went to a member's dacha in Oklahoma. Or vice-versa.

Yes, I was here then and know that the democrats were getting exactly what they deserved. The Democrats had been doing the exact same thing for the previous 100 years and it was a case of what goes around comes around. It was a bitter pill that the democrats didn't want to swallow but didn't have a choice.

of a indication of the level of the poster, not the party they may (or more likely may not) belong to.

Yep, I intentionally misspelled their names but I learned it from you craps so just give it a break or would you like for me to post the many misspellings for Bush, McCain, and Palin?

There was no more hate coming from the McCain campaign than from the Obama campaign. Anyone who says otherwise suffers from a case of blinders.
================================================== I agree and I think IMHO it's time to put all that behind us. We'll pick it back up where we left off in 2012. ;-)
Olddog

Actually he was probably paid around a million in salary, that is the most that can be deducted. The rest is most likely in bonuses and stock options that receive favorable tax treatment (and have for years, back to the early 90s) because these kinds of things align the interests of the boss with the shareholders according to the wiz kids in Congress who write the laws. The upshot is that CEOs now receive orders of magnitude more money than even the most out of control board would have had the balls to give them and the CEOs are remotely in line with the shareholders because so much of their pay comes from options and bonuses that they feel the need to cook the books. Most of the really nasty things where they play with the books have been since the tax lawyers were changed. Oops. They send out so much

For most of the last 30 years, the annual report on a health care expenditures have consistently found that less than 20% of all expenditures for healthcare come out of the pocket of the individual (including the o-o-p part of the premium). When you have something that is 80% subsidized, let alone the weirdness that ensues because of the divorce from the entity paying for a service (your employer) and the person actually using the service (you), then you hardly have a market in any sense of the word. I have long thought that before we give up on free markets in healthcare, maybe we should actually TRY it first.

It's a good thing the McCain that gave the concession speach wasn't the same one that we were running against. He might have had a chance. The McCain in the election was a completely different person, and a clear loser.

There was no more hate coming from the McCain campaign than from the Obama campaign. Anyone who says otherwise suffers from a case of blinders.
**************************************************8
It is you with the blinders.

I almost cried when I saw the hammer and sycle flags they young people were waving.
Steve
SteveB, 11/5/2008,9:42:47 PM, wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEtLFJjFQCA

And that would be why? Because you don't support the constitution right of free speach?
One person waves a flag, and that makes you cry?
Don't have much faith in the American voter, do you?
Not much of an American.
Some of us honor the right of everyone to express their opinion. Not just those who agree with us.
Bob F wrote:

posts when someone expresses their opinion?

There are a lot of idiots.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Including those who claim a constitutional right to "free speach."
HeyBub:

Including those who are ignorant of the Bill of Rights, or support those who would gladly abolish it.

Yep.

Might just be when he's responding to you.