I cried...

...with joy and relief, as I looked out on the crowds in Grant Park celebrating the election of our new president. So many people -- young and old, black and white, had tears running down their faces

Obama's speech was just like him -- direct, simple, eloquent, and quintessentially American. He called us to work for the common good -- not to go shopping.

The "relief" I felt comes partly from lifting the terrible fear that hung over me for so long: That the next president would appoint Supreme Court justices who would send our beloved country even further down the road to a quasi-totalitarian state ruled -- as it has been for the last eight years -- by unchecked corporate greed unmatched in my (long) voting memory.

Now, Justice Stevens, at 88, may feel it safe to retire, and Justice Souter may leave the Court where he has not lately been too happy. The cabal of Scalia, Thomas, Alito and Roberts will be on the OTHER side of the 5-4 decisions that have so cynically sold us out on every aspect of our lives.

People don't often stop and think how directly their lives are affected by the Supreme Court's decisions.

Now we have hope that our new President, governing from the center, will nominate centrist Justices who don't cynically interpret the Constitution for the benefit of religious fanatics, corporate thieves and anti-environmental hatchetmen.

Obama - You're going to need all the luck in the world, bringing together a divided nation

"The Audacity of Hope" -- he was already looking far, far ahead.

Reply to
apn96970

America has just made a huge step forward in her history.

Reply to
Bob F

He won't be able to do it. No one will. America is too widely divided. Look at the popular vote split. America is already two different countries.

Reply to
Zoot

Go to work for the common good. Is that anything like "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need?"

Reply to
joe

The popular vote split indicates that we all average out near the center. That's not divided - it's unified. All we lacked was a leader who undferstands that.

Reply to
salty

Agreed.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

I'll 'second' this.

We now have REAL hope for the future.

Lewis.

*****
Reply to
limeylew

Congrats to all the Obama supporters!

Olddog

Reply to
retired54

I vomited....

Reply to
Sharp Dressed Man

Normal...You're purging all that GOP bullshit you've been eating for 8 years.

It's a good thing.

Olddog

Reply to
retired54

I will gladly 2nd this statement.

Lewis.

*****
Reply to
limeylew

I will gladly 2nd this statement.

Lewis.

*****

DITTO....Renewed my faith in Americans.

Olddog

Reply to
retired54

Democrats have been dividing the nation as long as I can rememeber. "The rich didn't pay their fair share" and so on. Asking Obama to bring the nation together is like asking Jack the Ripper to do first aid.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Either that, or "from each according to the government's demands. To each according to your political pull.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

REPLY: I cried too....for the developing Americans in the womb who are waiting to enter their own Country knowing our next President only pretends life is sacred.

Reply to
IlBeBauck

The political parties need to understand it as well. This pandering to the extremes of the left and right are what's divided the country. I would love to have a centrist party.

The Republicans left me behind when they started kissing fundamentalist ass. And the Democrats conspire to deprive me of my God given right to defend myself by their attempts to redefine the 2nd Amendment.

I know very few people who would buy all of their party's positions. Most of them are like me, who agree with aspects of both.... but not all. The parties need to move closer to us instead of expecting us to come to them.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Geez. You and I could enjoy a drink and good conversation together.

cm

Reply to
cm

Just a centrist party? How about a five party system? the current left and right would occupy the extremes, then just fill the inbetween. You could get your party, then a liberal/conservative and a conservative/liberal. It would be interesting, anyway.

I won't hold my breath for it however.

jc

Reply to
joe

You guys both need to take a deep breath and read what I wrote a second time. Despite the hysterics, Obama is, in fact, within a stones throw of the center, as is John McCain. That's precisely why the vote was as close as it was. I think you are going to see John McCain doing his best to work with Obama for the common goal of moving us forward and fixing some of the damge wrought in the past 8 years. You will also see all those who really want to "put America first" doing the same.

get out of "campaign mode". The campaign is now OVER and the fat lady has sung. Watch John McCain and follow his example.

Reply to
salty

Ditto...and well said.

Olddog