I cried...

Page 1 of 7
...with joy and relief, as I looked out on the crowds in Grant Park celebrating the election of our new president. So many people -- young and old, black and white, had tears running down their faces
Obama's speech was just like him -- direct, simple, eloquent, and quintessentially American. He called us to work for the common good -- not to go shopping.
The "relief" I felt comes partly from lifting the terrible fear that hung over me for so long: That the next president would appoint Supreme Court justices who would send our beloved country even further down the road to a quasi-totalitarian state ruled -- as it has been for the last eight years -- by unchecked corporate greed unmatched in my (long) voting memory.
Now, Justice Stevens, at 88, may feel it safe to retire, and Justice Souter may leave the Court where he has not lately been too happy. The cabal of Scalia, Thomas, Alito and Roberts will be on the OTHER side of the 5-4 decisions that have so cynically sold us out on every aspect of our lives.
People don't often stop and think how directly their lives are affected by the Supreme Court's decisions.
Now we have hope that our new President, governing from the center, will nominate centrist Justices who don't cynically interpret the Constitution for the benefit of religious fanatics, corporate thieves and anti-environmental hatchetmen.
Obama - You're going to need all the luck in the world, bringing together a divided nation
"The Audacity of Hope" -- he was already looking far, far ahead.

America has just made a huge step forward in her history.
Bob F wrote:

Agreed.
Lou

I'll 'second' this.
We now have REAL hope for the future.
Lewis.
*****

I will gladly 2nd this statement.
Lewis.
*****

I will gladly 2nd this statement.
Lewis.
*****
DITTO....Renewed my faith in Americans.
Olddog

FWIW, I have long suggested that the Fed Gas Tax be rolled back to just enough to cover research on safety and road builing methods and materials. Then the states could increase their gas tax by an amount decided by the Legislature to cover THEIR needs. More efficient since you don't take money off the top to run the bureaucacy, lets the states decide their own priorities, does away with one of the bigger pork barrels (which of course is why it won't ever get done.)

Even that is most likely not a violation as long as the tapped phone or intercepted communication device is overseas. The courts have long noted that if the tap is legal, then any conversations recorded thereby are legal no matter who the tapee is talking to. With in the US, for example, if Goombah #1 has a tap on the phone and Goombah #2 calls G1 and talks at length about nefarious activity, then G2 can be arrested, tried and convicted on the basis of the tap on G1's phone. Even though there was no tap authorized on the phone of G2. There is no law at all that stops taps on OVERSEAS phones, so they are legal (or at least not illegal and thus not the fruit of the poisonous tree). If the tap is on a communications device in Afghan and someone from the US calls that device, the tap is still legal and the US person is like G2 above.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

You're mixing criminal communication intercepts with those of the military. I maintain the military doesn't need a warrant (courts have only recently said otherwise) to intercept enemy communications, even if the communication is from one side of Duluth to the other.

Jos Padilla. A US citizen arrested on US soil. Held without charges, trial, or (for awhile) counsel. While the courts are very divided on the issue, this is a clear violation of a plain English reading of the constitution.
-- Doug
Douglas Johnson wrote:

Padilla WAS arrested by law enforcement agents. But all criminal charges were dropped and he was classified as an unlawful enemy combatant. He was turned over to the military where he spent years chained upside-down to a wall in a Charleston brig. Just like the folks at Guantanamo, he was not a criminal, not charged with a criminal offense, and, therefore, not subject to the constitutional safeguards afforded criminals.
He was held and tried under the president's Article II powers, not under those that begin "In all criminal prosecutions...(eg, 6th Amendment).
His citizenship was not a test. In the case of the eight German spies arrested in Long Island (see US vs Quirin), two were U.S. citizens. Six of the eight were executed.
During the Second World War, hundreds of thousands of German & Italian POWs were incarcerated in the United States (Texas alone had 13 POW camps). Of these, more than a handful carried U.S. (or dual) citizenship. Not one ever entered a U.S. courtroom.
How can someone be locked up and NOT be a criminal, you might ask? There are many classifications of folks who can be denied their liberty and not be criminals or accused of a criminal offense.
* Juveniles * Mental or Public Health hazards * Civil immigration violations * Civil contempt, such as non-payment of child support * Unlawful enemy combatants

He won't be able to do it. No one will. America is too widely divided. Look at the popular vote split. America is already two different countries.

The popular vote split indicates that we all average out near the center. That's not divided - it's unified. All we lacked was a leader who undferstands that.

The political parties need to understand it as well. This pandering to the extremes of the left and right are what's divided the country. I would love to have a centrist party.
The Republicans left me behind when they started kissing fundamentalist ass. And the Democrats conspire to deprive me of my God given right to defend myself by their attempts to redefine the 2nd Amendment.
I know very few people who would buy all of their party's positions. Most of them are like me, who agree with aspects of both.... but not all. The parties need to move closer to us instead of expecting us to come to them.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message wrote:

Rum or beer in the summer. Single malt scotch any time (at least lunch). I like Oban or Macallan but I'm not too picky.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
cm
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

Just a centrist party? How about a five party system? the current left and right would occupy the extremes, then just fill the inbetween. You could get your party, then a liberal/conservative and a conservative/liberal. It would be interesting, anyway.
I won't hold my breath for it however.
jc
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message wrote:

You guys both need to take a deep breath and read what I wrote a second time. Despite the hysterics, Obama is, in fact, within a stones throw of the center, as is John McCain. That's precisely why the vote was as close as it was. I think you are going to see John McCain doing his best to work with Obama for the common goal of moving us forward and fixing some of the damge wrought in the past 8 years. You will also see all those who really want to "put America first" doing the same.
get out of "campaign mode". The campaign is now OVER and the fat lady has sung. Watch John McCain and follow his example.

Ditto...and well said.
Olddog
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Tell that to the baby that gets thrown into the closet to die after a botched abortion.