i can read 120 v between hot wire & nutral sometimes

i can read 120v
between hot & ground at the outlet ,my house has been built in 1952 and has some old wiring although there was an addition to it,and a bigger breaker box 100amp my light bills are high as well i wonder if there is a leak of voltage some place, help please.
thank you sam
On May 27, 1:32 am, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

Hot and ground should read the same as hot to neutral. Or very near the same. The neutral buss (bar) in the breaker box is stake grounded or street-side water pipe grounded. Neutral and ground are then at the same potential. (the same potential as the center-tap of your utility companies transformer)
What you say "sounds" normal.
p_z
Some utility companies will test your meter for accuracy. You should scour your house for any electrical devices , possibly in some obscure locations that are being left on

You need to worry when it does not give you 12V between hot and either the ground or the neutral.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Are you leaving the breaker box door open?
This can cause a loss of electrons. The bigger the box the more you lose.

12V would also be somewhat of a concern... :)
dpb wrote:

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit