i can read 120 v between hot wire & nutral sometimes

i can read 120v

between hot & ground at the outlet ,my house has been built in 1952 and has some old wiring although there was an addition to it,and a bigger breaker box 100amp my light bills are high as well i wonder if there is a leak of voltage some place, help please.

thank you sam

Reply to
samhou2001

Hot and ground should read the same as hot to neutral. Or very near the same. The neutral buss (bar) in the breaker box is stake grounded or street-side water pipe grounded. Neutral and ground are then at the same potential. (the same potential as the center-tap of your utility companies transformer)

What you say "sounds" normal.

p_z

Reply to
pheeh.zero

Some utility companies will test your meter for accuracy. You should scour your house for any electrical devices , possibly in some obscure locations that are being left on

Reply to
RBM

You need to worry when it does not give you 12V between hot and either the ground or the neutral.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Are you leaving the breaker box door open?

This can cause a loss of electrons. The bigger the box the more you lose.

Reply to
Colbyt

12V would also be somewhat of a concern... :)
Reply to
dpb

Reply to
Joseph Meehan