I bought a Moto G from Motorola, and it doesn't come with a CHARGER!

Page 1 of 2
Have any of you bought the $200 Moto G smartphone?
Did yours come with a charger? If not, what size charger do we need to buy?
My 16GB Moto G came from Motorola (not from Google Play) and it arrived only with a white USB cable. There is no charger! That stinks!
Now I have to buy a charger. But, which 5V USB charger do I buy? Nowhere in the package does it say the amps needed.
A Cordell James se le ha ocurrido que:

I think this is a reasonable measure.
We are all the day talking about saving the enviroment; producing less electronic waste, etc... Now that every mobile has the same chrging plug (with the known exception of Apple devices) and everybody changes his mobile each two years, I see very logical that phones are sold without charger (or even USB cord), as verybody has several of them at home. Obviously, the price should reflect that save (and I think the Moto G does).
Regarding to your question; any 1A charger will be more than enough...
--
Un saludo,
Alberto

The output of the charger really doesn't matter, as long as it meets the minimum requirements of the device. IOW, if you have a 2.1A charger on hand that you use for a tablet or other device, and it has the same µUSB plug as the Moto, then you can use it without any chance of harm. It's only going to draw what it needs; the charger isn't going to "force" 2.1A into it.
--
SC Tom

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 08:59:30 -0500, SC Tom wrote:

Which is as much as 1.5 Amps!
So, it /does/ matter.
A lot!
Most usb chargers can't deliver anywhere near that current.
Some can, of course. So, it matters a LOT to get those that can!

You obviously missed the last part of the sentence. Let me quote it for you: "as long as it meets the minimum requirements of the device". If you're going to take one line out of context, at least be accurate about it :-)
Even if a device calls for 1.5A, it will still be charged by a .5A output. It'll just take a lot longer to do so, and would probably need to be turned off in order to complete the charge cycle. I have an Asus tablet that "requires" a 2.1A charger, but will still charge to completion with my .7A phone charger, if I turn it off and leave it plugged in overnight. I have done that a few times when I inadvertently forgot to pack the tablet charger.
--
SC Tom

On Friday, February 7, 2014 8:17:21 AM UTC-5, SC Tom wrote:

Also, the device in question is a Motorola Android cell phone. I just checked the charger that came with my new Android cell phone. It's 1.0A. The battery was almost dead last night, was giving me the final warning before shutting down. I put it on the 1.0A charger without it being turned on and it was up to full charge in about an hour. With the phone turned on, I haven't timed it, but I'd say it's less than 2 hours to charge. So, I agree with your assessment. The device in question is a cell phone and the cell phone probably doesn't even use .5A when it's just sitting there. The batteries are only 2500mah or so, as I recall. If it pulled .5A continously the battery would only last 5 hours, mine lasts a day.
Since he doesn't have a charger, if it were me, I'd buy one that's equal to the max that Mot specs, just so that it will charge faster. They only cost a few bucks anyway. Even better you can find kits for $10, maybe less that give you an AC charger, car charger, cable, etc.

"How do I properly charge my device?
In order to keep the price low, Motorola made many cost-saving decisons. In this case, our research showed that many people already had a suitable Motorola charger available, or a PC or other device that can be used to charge Moto G.
Any Motorola charger with the correct micro-USB tip will charge your Moto G. You will see the best results when the output of the charger is between 500 mA and 1.5 A. The higher the output, the faster your Moto G will charge.
If your charger output is higher, the MOTO G will automatically restrict the charging rate. If your charger is lower, it will simply take longer to reach a full charge."
https://motorola-global- portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/97318/p/30,6720, 9050/action/auth
--
Seth Goodman

Yeah any micro-usb charger will do... I use the same charger for my phone and my tablet... it was originally a charger for an old long deceased phone
--
Aw Small but dangerous

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 15:15:26 +0000, Amanda Williams wrote:

Not really but close enough. The moto g specs say 1amp to 1.5 amp, IIRC.
That's *high* current for most chargers, which are usually, in my experience anyway, about 500ma to about 800ma.
So, in *my* experience, *most* chargers don't meet the moto-g spec, if the spec indeed is 1 amp and above.
And, certainly, you're not going to get a 1.5Amp charger for 3 bucks as someone here had proposed. If you can, please post the URL to the site and I'll buy a dozen! :)
On Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:18:44 AM UTC-5, Danny D'Amico wrote:

Is $3.60 with free shipping good enough for a 2A one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2A-US-Plug-Wall-Charger-with-USB-Cable-Earphone-for-Samsung-S3-S4-N7100-LS4G-/121214198462?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Chargers&var=&hash=item1c38ede2be
There are 1A ones on there for $1, free shipping
Danny D'Amico, pensando en voz alta, dice:

http://dx.com/s/usb+car+charger+1.5A
Enjoy!
--
Un saludo,
Alberto
In wrote:

In the bad old days, Motorola played games with their phones and chargers (jumpers and/or resistors in the phone-end of the USB cable) such that the phones would only charge from Motorola chargers or accurate clones. They wouldn't charge from a PC USB port unless Motorola drivers were installed.
These days, I'm pretty sure any charger with an adequate current capacity will work.
--
snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN

Cordell James wrote:

Won't it charge thru USB port? My laptop has feature to boost USB output current to charge many different things on USB port. Also There is Car DC 12V to USB charger you can buy.
On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 08:18:08 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Yes. But if the Moto-G spec is really 1 amp to 1.5 amp recommended charger capability, the real question is whether your laptop and car adapter can meet the current spec for the Moto G.
A Danny D'Amico se le ha ocurrido que:

Linear or switched voltage regulators, as the ones used in phone chargers, are mostly self current limiting, so there is no risk, just that moto-G will tabe a bit longer to charge.
--
Un saludo,
Alberto
On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 17:55:55 +0100, Leviatan wrote:

I understood that the risk of the Moto-G sinking too much current is minimal (since I assumed it had current-limiting circuitry to prevent battery overcharging).
However, if the Moto-G takes, say, 1 Amp to just run whatever is running on it (admittedly high, but this is just a worst-case scenario), and if the USB port is only a typical 500mA port, then the battery will slowly discharge.
In practice, if you're charging your Moto-G, most of the time you're not also using it, except in the case of GPS and bluetooth and dashcams which is what you'd be using in a car.
So, the key problem is that the *car* charger has to be beefy just to keep up with the demands of the phone, and not just those of the battery.
PS: I'm debugging exactly that problem on my Samsung Galaxy S3 as we speak.

There are a couple of games that when I run them on my Asus Memo Smart10, the charger mostly "breaks even", or the battery will still slightly discharge while on the charger. It's a 2.1A charger (came with the tablet), but still won't keep up. One that comes to mind first is "Real Racing". My guess is between the processing power required, the graphics, and the constant wifi connection, it's more than the poor battery can handle :-( If I disable the wifi (airplane mode), it'll do OK, but when off charger, it's still a drain on the battery. I usually reserve playing that game when near an outlet :-)
I haven't played the game while in the car, but I have a USB car charger that works fine when using the GPS travel program. It has a dual output of 1A and 2.1A. I got it from Amazon a while back for my old Creative Labs MP3 player, but it works great for my phone and tablet now.
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)> I don't recall what it cost them, but it wasn't as expensive as it is now :-( I see there's a new daul-2.1A one available.
--
SC Tom

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 06:32:44 +0000 (UTC), Cordell James wrote:

Just stick in a USB-port on your computer. It'll charge. (You /do/ have a computer, don't you? ;-)
--
s|b

Most USB subsystems are only capable of delivering 500ma. If your device requires anywhere near this amount of current, or more, do yourself a favor and use a separate charger.
On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 06:32:44 +0000 (UTC), Cordell James

Slow processor, 16GB maximum memory, no LTE, a crappy camera that takes blurry photos, and a low contrast screen. However, it is cheap, taudio is good, cellular range so-so, and it's well built.

The EU has decided that there should be exactly one standard charger. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_External_Power_Supply> Since you're expected to have exactly one charger for a wide assortment of devices, the various vendors see no reason to supply you with a spare charger. I consider this a good idea. <http://sneezypb.tumblr.com/post/15864266395/one-day-son-all-of-these-perfectly-good-a-c

I feel your pain. However, I don't think a $5-$10 charger on eBay or Amazon will constitute a major investment.

Yep.

MicroUSB. If it has a USB connector, make sure it says for Android or Non-Apple products. Most "universal" chargers with USB connectors have two connectors. One for Apple, and one for everything else.

<https://community.republicwireless.com/thread/17308 <http://www.wirelessground.com/motorola-dual-port-usb-charger-with-cable.html