I bought a Moto G from Motorola, and it doesn't come with a CHARGER!

Have any of you bought the $200 Moto G smartphone?

Did yours come with a charger? If not, what size charger do we need to buy?

My 16GB Moto G came from Motorola (not from Google Play) and it arrived only with a white USB cable. There is no charger! That stinks!

Now I have to buy a charger. But, which 5V USB charger do I buy? Nowhere in the package does it say the amps needed.

Reply to
Cordell James

A Cordell James se le ha ocurrido que:

I think this is a reasonable measure.

We are all the day talking about saving the enviroment; producing less electronic waste, etc... Now that every mobile has the same chrging plug (with the known exception of Apple devices) and everybody changes his mobile each two years, I see very logical that phones are sold without charger (or even USB cord), as verybody has several of them at home. Obviously, the price should reflect that save (and I think the Moto G does).

Regarding to your question; any 1A charger will be more than enough...

Reply to
Leviatan

The output of the charger really doesn't matter, as long as it meets the minimum requirements of the device. IOW, if you have a 2.1A charger on hand that you use for a tablet or other device, and it has the same µUSB plug as the Moto, then you can use it without any chance of harm. It's only going to draw what it needs; the charger isn't going to "force" 2.1A into it.

Reply to
SC Tom

"How do I properly charge my device?

In order to keep the price low, Motorola made many cost-saving decisons. In this case, our research showed that many people already had a suitable Motorola charger available, or a PC or other device that can be used to charge Moto G.

Any Motorola charger with the correct micro-USB tip will charge your Moto G. You will see the best results when the output of the charger is between 500 mA and 1.5 A. The higher the output, the faster your Moto G will charge.

If your charger output is higher, the MOTO G will automatically restrict the charging rate. If your charger is lower, it will simply take longer to reach a full charge."

9050/action/auth
Reply to
Seth Goodman

Seth Goodman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Yeah any micro-usb charger will do... I use the same charger for my phone and my tablet... it was originally a charger for an old long deceased phone

Reply to
Amanda Williams

Hi, Won't it charge thru USB port? My laptop has feature to boost USB output current to charge many different things on USB port. Also There is Car DC 12V to USB charger you can buy.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Just stick in a USB-port on your computer. It'll charge. (You /do/ have a computer, don't you? ;-)

Reply to
s|b

Most USB subsystems are only capable of delivering 500ma. If your device requires anywhere near this amount of current, or more, do yourself a favor and use a separate charger.

Reply to
Lab Lover

Slow processor, 16GB maximum memory, no LTE, a crappy camera that takes blurry photos, and a low contrast screen. However, it is cheap, taudio is good, cellular range so-so, and it's well built.

The EU has decided that there should be exactly one standard charger. Since you're expected to have exactly one charger for a wide assortment of devices, the various vendors see no reason to supply you with a spare charger. I consider this a good idea.

I feel your pain. However, I don't think a $5-$10 charger on eBay or Amazon will constitute a major investment.

Yep.

MicroUSB. If it has a USB connector, make sure it says for Android or Non-Apple products. Most "universal" chargers with USB connectors have two connectors. One for Apple, and one for everything else.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

More devices are coming this way. My four year old Sansa Fuze just came with a cable, no AC adapter. When I got a Kobo Mini ebook reader last year, it only came with a cable.

But you don't need to spend much. When I got a used TomTom One GPS receiver at a Rotary Club garage sale last June, I immediately picked up a couple of suitable AC adapters at garage sales, one for 25cents, one for fifty cents. The fact that they are now standardizing on a USB type connector does make it simpler. No need to dig through the box of adapters to find one that has the right voltage, and then chances are good the connector is the wrong size and/or the polarity is wrong for the device. I already had some suitable USB type ac adapters from finding in th garbage, but it was easier to buy those that day than dig through the box.

Maybe people won't even need to buy at 50cent level, they can ask family or friends if they have any lying around (and they may).

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Hi Jeff, I myself recently purchased the Moto G, so this is useful information.

In point of fact, I read with interest everything you post, and after reading your reference, one sentence struck me as particularly useful with respect to what comes with the Moto G by default: "A common EPS must include a cable with a Micro USB-B connector for connecting to a mobile phone."

So, *that* explains why the Motorola Google Moto-G, which we know does not come with a charger, at least comes with a USB cable!

PS: I've been clamoring for a common-charge standard since USB was invented! I never bought an earbud, phones, cameras, GPS, etc. that wasn't common (mini-USB in those days). People used to make fun of me, but, now they're reaping the benefits of the idea that we really don't need to have a separate charger format & connector for every device.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Not really but close enough. The moto g specs say 1amp to 1.5 amp, IIRC.

That's *high* current for most chargers, which are usually, in my experience anyway, about 500ma to about 800ma.

So, in *my* experience, *most* chargers don't meet the moto-g spec, if the spec indeed is 1 amp and above.

And, certainly, you're not going to get a 1.5Amp charger for 3 bucks as someone here had proposed. If you can, please post the URL to the site and I'll buy a dozen! :)

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Yes. But if the Moto-G spec is really 1 amp to 1.5 amp recommended charger capability, the real question is whether your laptop and car adapter can meet the current spec for the Moto G.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Is $3.60 with free shipping good enough for a 2A one?

There are 1A ones on there for $1, free shipping

Reply to
trader4

Your nightmare has only just begun. It's not quite a neat as it could have been. Apple and the rest of the industry have gone separate ways in their methods of negotiating the proper charging current. The result is that you'll find chargers with two USB connectors, labeled Apple, and everyone else. Also note the 3.1A charging current:

Since Apple chose to release it's iPhone 5 with a non EU standard connector and charging system, one would have expected a reaction from the standards manufacturers in Brussels. Note that there is no law demanding that standard chargers be used. Well, it took about a year, but it finally arrived: Yawn.

Apple... think different, very different:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

A Danny D'Amico se le ha ocurrido que:

Linear or switched voltage regulators, as the ones used in phone chargers, are mostly self current limiting, so there is no risk, just that moto-G will tabe a bit longer to charge.

Reply to
Leviatan

Hi Jeff, You picked an EXCELLENT article to read!

That article was interesting in that it explained the Chinese standard, the EU standard, and the Apple standard of USB charging circuits:

It was interesting that apple used voltages for their charging circuitry:

- low current: 2.8 volts across Data(+)

- high current: 2.0 volts across Data(-)

While the Chinese used shorts, and the EU used a resistor.

The five 1/8 watt resistor "hybrid" circuit in that article nicely explains how a charger can work *either* for Apple (voltage) & EU (resistance) & Chinese (short) charge circuits; but not all three at the same time!

:(

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

I understood that the risk of the Moto-G sinking too much current is minimal (since I assumed it had current-limiting circuitry to prevent battery overcharging).

However, if the Moto-G takes, say, 1 Amp to just run whatever is running on it (admittedly high, but this is just a worst-case scenario), and if the USB port is only a typical 500mA port, then the battery will slowly discharge.

In practice, if you're charging your Moto-G, most of the time you're not also using it, except in the case of GPS and bluetooth and dashcams which is what you'd be using in a car.

So, the key problem is that the *car* charger has to be beefy just to keep up with the demands of the phone, and not just those of the battery.

PS: I'm debugging exactly that problem on my Samsung Galaxy S3 as we speak.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Hi Jeff,

While I abhor needlessly-multi-page howto articles, I read your reference:

What I learned was, for the Apple USB charging standard: a) 2.0 V on D+ and 2.0 V on D- puts out 500 mA on the power pins b) 2.0 V on D+ and 2.8 V on D- puts out 1 A on the power pins

It was also interesting that the author chose 220 Ohm & 330 Ohm resistors because the ratio is what matters, more so than the resistance itself.

What I learned from this is to make sure that I buy a charger that is to the EU or Chinese standard, and not to the Apple standard.

Also, I realized, from this article, that I *probably* could convert my dual port chargers from having one port at 1.0 A and another at 2.1 A, to both ports being at 2.1A, but, that's just a hunch at this point.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

I couldn't figure out what the "N/A" meant, versus the "A" on that device, but, I do agree, 3.1 Amps on each port simultaneously is six amps of power (if it really can do that) out of a cigarette lighter socket!

Reply to
Danny D'Amico