I Am Reduced to Buying My Lumbar from the Big Box Stores

Does anybody know whether/if/which Lowes or Home Depot usually has better lumber?
jim evans wrote:

crapshoot ime...
why are these the only choices?

IMO, it is pretty much crap at both stores, Find a good lumber yard if you can.
Bob-tx

Exactly. Where I'm from the smaller operators offer a better selection / grade / quality and lower price - and to keep up with the BB stores offer next day, free delivery.
Bob wrote:

Around here, Lowe's is distinctly better than HD, so it pays to simply show up and look.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

They buy it locally, so I would expect different stores to have different quality.
Around here I can find good stuff at HD if I pick through the piles a bit.
About 20 years ago a Grossman's store found it wasn't selling any lumber at all. Turns out the decent stuff had been picked out and they had racks full of crap; so their inventory system didn't order any and no one would buy what was there. Sounds like a myth, but it actually happened.

You're buying a lower back from a hardware store?
h posted for all of us...

That's so he has support...
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

depends......\\