I Am Reduced to Buying My Lumbar from the Big Box Stores

Does anybody know whether/if/which Lowes or Home Depot usually has better lumber?

Reply to
jim evans

crapshoot ime...

why are these the only choices?

--

Reply to
dpb

Exactly. Where I'm from the smaller operators offer a better selection / grade / quality and lower price - and to keep up with the BB stores offer next day, free delivery.

Reply to
jim

IMO, it is pretty much crap at both stores, Find a good lumber yard if you can.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

They buy it locally, so I would expect different stores to have different quality.

Around here I can find good stuff at HD if I pick through the piles a bit.

About 20 years ago a Grossman's store found it wasn't selling any lumber at all. Turns out the decent stuff had been picked out and they had racks full of crap; so their inventory system didn't order any and no one would buy what was there. Sounds like a myth, but it actually happened.

Reply to
jack

Around here, Lowe's is distinctly better than HD, so it pays to simply show up and look.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You're buying a lower back from a hardware store?

h posted for all of us...

That's so he has support...

Reply to
Tekkie®

depends......\\

Steve Barker DLT

I'll take the stuff that's stored (no pun intended) inside anyday... Screw that local , moldy, crooked shit at the lumber yard.

Steve Barker DLT