hydro pole in the middle of a Quebec roadway

Does Home Guy work for the transport department?

Harry Johnson

I thought Canada didn't have Affirmative Action hiring requirements. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Just so you know - Q-bec is not really part of Canada.

So you can trash and riducule them all you want.

Reply to
Home Guy

My first thought was that hydro pole was Canadian slang for fire hydrant or maybe a water fountain.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The lighting on those two poles does not appear to match the surrounding lighting. Why are both poles casting NO shadows? Everything else around seems to have very long shadows. Photo looks more like a composite.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Bullshit...the shadows are all there. Picture was taken with ZOOM on. Everything is in perspective.=20

Reply to
Roy

What are you viewing the photo with? I see shadows from both poles on the left hand side, just like the shadows from all other objects.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It's just that glancing at the photo the poles seemed to be glaringly different, and 'jump' out while viewing, so I posted more as a question doubting authenticity, rather than a clear statement invalidating the photo.

Using Irfanview 4.25, in the photo that downloaded to me, the shadow looks too narrow and 'drawn in' does not match adjacent shadows in digital distribution - the hysteresis of colors..

The back pole's base is too abrupt in its termination at the pavement and it appears that the angle of lighting is off by 5-10 degrees. The reflector plate mounted on the back pole does not look 'right' either. It's mounted too low and is too wide proportionally.

However, in support of authenticity, the markings on the pavement around the closest pole appear to be indeed markings around a pole, or at least some obstruction. However the pole's base to pavement junction is extremely clean. Must be they have extremelly good workmanship there, or...

Where do the wires for these two poles go? They do not seem to line up with any other set of poles.

Is there another view of these two poles?

Reply to
Robert Macy

which pretty much shoots down your suspicions.

BTW that link was right there as a sidebar to the article.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

one of the photos showed a long line of poles directly in line with the two misplaced poles

Reply to
hrhofmann

Your link is actually a slide show show various photo of the poles as well it's removal.

This slide show is just as weird, maybe even weirder.

DerbyDad03

I saw another one from China where a house was atop a piece of land that looked like a butte with straight sides because all the land around it had been dug away around it. It was like a big dirt tower in a quarry. Darn, I wish I had an address for the image. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Shhh, He doesn't want to hear anything that refutes his theory.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Thanks for the URL. Just goes to show that truth can be stranger than fiction.

Didn't see the link for any other photos. Habit from ignoring everything presented around information on a website.

The obvious next question is Who is culpable for traffic accident caused by obstruction?

Reply to
Robert Macy

Took awhile to see photos, but they're gone. Interesting last statment: "Cookshire-Eaton Mayor Noel Landry said citizens didn't complain because they knew that the problem would be fixed sooner or later."

Definitely NOT in the USA.

Reply to
Robert Macy

For sure. Surprised that the guy who made the decision to put them there wasnt' fired.

I saw something else that is unbelievable - back down the stree there are poles right on the street but next to the curb - that would not be allowed in the states.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Perhaps I was misread, but I took it that the poles were already there; it was the road widening project that wasn't fully coordinated, so they paved around the existing poles. That would be the fault of the road contractor, not the power company (though they might have delayed their part of the job). I've seen that done before, with the poles removed and holes patched, just never after the new road portion actually opened.

If they're the ones in line with the offending pole, I'm sure the plan is to move all of them; the one in the foreground is just the most egregious.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

te:

I think you are correct about them being there first. That would still leave the guy wo ordered the paving to continue around them at fault.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

That was my thought too.

Here in BC it is not unusual to see telephone poles in the middle of the curb lane if the road is being widened and the power co. has not moved the poles yet.

We had this a block away and they were like that for over a year. The city put in the new sidewalks and put down the first layer of asphalt and left it like that until the power co. got their new poles and lines in.

When the old poles were remove the hole was paved and a few months later the final layer of asphalt was added.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

Did you read the article? The transportation department took responsibility while "the guy who ordered the paving to continue" said he was just following orders.

I quote...y

"...The regional director for the transport department admitted there was a miscommunication with Hydro-Quebec.

"It's unacceptable," said Gilles Bourque. "As the one responsible for the regional transport network, we should have ensured that this didn't happen."

Gilles Therrien, owner of the company that executed the work, said he was embarrassed about the poles, but there was nothing he could do - he was just following orders, he said.

"Everyone knows it looks crazy," he told QMI Agency. "But the transport department is our client. You must understand, I was somewhat uncomfortable to criticize them."..."

Reply to
DerbyDad03