Hydraulic oil

Recently bought an electric wood splitter that calls for ISO 22 hydraulic oil such as Mobil DTE 11. Nearly impossible to even find oil with the ISO grade label on them unless I want to start with a 5 gallon pail. Thought Pep-Boys might stock it but no such luck.
Any leads to where I can find consumer sizes?
Jim wrote:

Put ATF or Power Steering fluid. It will work just as well.
--
LSMFT

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 16:29:08 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

Interesting. No adverse effects over the long term?
Jim wrote:

I haven't seen a power steering pump blow up yet.
--
LSMFT

On 10/23/2010 4:20 PM, Jim wrote:

Don't mix synthetic hydraulic oil with organic based unless it has been specifically formulated to mix. It will gum up and destroy the seals. Been there, seen that. I serviced some equipment using silicone based hydraulic fluid and it was destroyed when automatic transmission fluid was added to the oil supply.
TDD
On 10/23/2010 4:29 PM, LSMFT wrote:

That used to be a good idea in the days when lubricants were all organic and very similar. Today you really have to know what is compatible and what isn't.
"Jim" wrote in message
Recently bought an electric wood splitter that calls for ISO 22 hydraulic oil such as Mobil DTE 11. Nearly impossible to even find oil with the ISO grade label on them unless I want to start with a 5 gallon pail. Thought Pep-Boys might stock it but no such luck.
Any leads to where I can find consumer sizes?
Pep Boys????? They are a step above a toy store.
Try a hydraulic supply house or industrial supply house. Common variety of oil, low temperature. Thousands of suppliers carry or can easily get it. .
On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 16:31:37 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

OK,hydraulic liftgates are often spec'd with Mobil DTE 11, and SAE10 engine oil is listed as a substitute - so we know the viscosity range and that it is a white hydraulic oil. Go to your local fleet and farm store , TSC, orchard supply, or farm equipment dealer and ask for "universal tractor hydraulic fluid" It is used in the hydraulics and powershift transmissions on most late model farm tractors
On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 20:43:03 -0400, clare wrote:

Any thoughts regarding Mobil Velocite 10 (ISO 22)? Marketed as a spindle oil; "The Mobil Velocite Oil Numbered Series oils are premium performance products primarily designed for the lubrication of high-speed spindles in machine tools. They are also used in some critical hydraulic, circulation systems and air line oilers where the appropriate viscosity grade is selected. They are formulated from select high-quality, low viscosity base oils and additives that impart good resistance to oxidation and protection from rust and corrosion. They possess very good resistance to foaming and separate readily from water."