Hydraulic oil

Recently bought an electric wood splitter that calls for ISO 22 hydraulic oil such as Mobil DTE 11. Nearly impossible to even find oil with the ISO grade label on them unless I want to start with a 5 gallon pail. Thought Pep-Boys might stock it but no such luck.

Any leads to where I can find consumer sizes?

Reply to
Jim

Put ATF or Power Steering fluid. It will work just as well.

Reply to
LSMFT

Recently bought an electric wood splitter that calls for ISO 22 hydraulic oil such as Mobil DTE 11. Nearly impossible to even find oil with the ISO grade label on them unless I want to start with a 5 gallon pail. Thought Pep-Boys might stock it but no such luck.

Any leads to where I can find consumer sizes?

Pep Boys????? They are a step above a toy store.

Try a hydraulic supply house or industrial supply house. Common variety of oil, low temperature. Thousands of suppliers carry or can easily get it. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Interesting. No adverse effects over the long term?

Reply to
Jim

I haven't seen a power steering pump blow up yet.

Reply to
LSMFT

OK,hydraulic liftgates are often spec'd with Mobil DTE 11, and SAE10 engine oil is listed as a substitute - so we know the viscosity range and that it is a white hydraulic oil. Go to your local fleet and farm store , TSC, orchard supply, or farm equipment dealer and ask for "universal tractor hydraulic fluid" It is used in the hydraulics and powershift transmissions on most late model farm tractors

Reply to
clare

Don't mix synthetic hydraulic oil with organic based unless it has been specifically formulated to mix. It will gum up and destroy the seals. Been there, seen that. I serviced some equipment using silicone based hydraulic fluid and it was destroyed when automatic transmission fluid was added to the oil supply.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That used to be a good idea in the days when lubricants were all organic and very similar. Today you really have to know what is compatible and what isn't.

Reply to
George

Any thoughts regarding Mobil Velocite 10 (ISO 22)? Marketed as a spindle oil; "The Mobil Velocite Oil Numbered Series oils are premium performance products primarily designed for the lubrication of high-speed spindles in machine tools. They are also used in some critical hydraulic, circulation systems and air line oilers where the appropriate viscosity grade is selected. They are formulated from select high-quality, low viscosity base oils and additives that impart good resistance to oxidation and protection from rust and corrosion. They possess very good resistance to foaming and separate readily from water."

Reply to
Jim