Hydraulic cement & basement leak

Live in Southern Maine - there is currently a small stream running across my basement floor to the sump pump well where the drainage system is also dumping water. The stream is coming from cracks in the poured foundation wall where the wall meets the floor. The sump pump well & basement wall have been dry since the last big rain event last Mother's Day so this only happens when we get a lot of rain in a short period of time.
Looking at hydraulic cement to stop the leak in the wall: Do I just chisel away at the point where the wall meets the floor to open the cracks or can I just press the cement in? If I do have to open the crack what is the best method considering the area I need to repair? Will the cement smell bad enough to send my wife away for a night or two?
Thanks! Kevin
Buck writes:

Think of your basement wall and floor as a leaky boat in a pond.
Do you really think mashing a little cement into dirty, old corners is going to stop your boat from leaking?
There is no special "hydraulic" cement. All portland cement is hydraulic. That label is just a way to sell it at exorbitant prices to suckers.
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 13:07:35 -0400, "Buck"

Better idea, put in a second sump over near where the water is coming in. Either inside or outside, doesn't matter much which.

yeah FIX the water problem, broken bad downspout lines? clogged gutters water spilling over gutter edge entering dirty around foundation?
do you have a interior french drain?
Buck wrote: Will the cement smell bad

We can say yes if you want her gone for two nights or would you like more?