hydraulic cement and wood contact

I know that in general you don't want untreated wood to directly contact a concrete foundation or footing since water wicks up through the relatively porous concrete.

Does this also apply to wood contact with HYDRAULIC cement? My thinking is that this may theoretically be less of a problem since hydraulic cement by definition is supposed to be more water tight.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
blueman

Many guys seem to be confused by the term "hydraulic" cement.

The "hydraulic" cement you refer to is just plain portland cement formulated to set quickly and labeled as something special so as to separate you from more money than it should. It is no different in terms of porosity or bonding from ordinary cement.

All portland cement is also properly termed "hydraulic" in another sense, namely, that it sets by the addition of water.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Sure, although such products often set up in a minute or two, not enough time to mix it and place it and finish it, if you have anything but a single tiny patch to make.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

This looks good;

-zero