Hy-Grade Hy Grade Steel Roofing Roof Company WARNING

Recently had a steel roof installed by Hy-Grade Steel Roofing Systems Company based in Guelph Ontario, and would like to send a few words of caution to all who are considering hiring Hy-Grade.

From the first estimator's visit we made it clear we wanted better

ventilation for our attic and asked for ridge ventilation. Estimator / Salesman agreed to do this for free as "it is only a matter of a few cuts while the guys are up on the roof."

We made sure that this was clearly written into the contract, and it reads: "cut ridge vent in addition to existing 2 vents".

FF to the day the installers come.

We re-enforced to the head guy of the 3 person team that we want ridge vents cut to help with venting the attic. The guy acts surprised to hear that we want the ridge vents so we pull out the contract to show.

When the top portion of the steel roof is on the roof we ask the guy: "did you remember to cut the ridge vents?" The guy replied (and I kid you not) "no, but we will install ridge steel shakes because most people want the ridge vent for decoration only."

For those of you who do not have a steel roof: Steel roof is installed on top of you existing shingles. Wooded grid is built and onto it are installed the metal shakes. The steel vents installed vent only the air trapped between the steel roof and the shingles of your existing roof. Nothing to do with venting of the attic.

The result: No cut was made in the roof to provide attic ventilation.

We re-enforced again: "We are not those people. We want actual, real, working ridge vents cut in the roof."

Reluctantly the guy agreed to cut ridge vents.

Once the new roof is up, we ask: "Did you cut the ridge vents?"

Answer: "Yes, I cut the ridge vents."

Something in the guy's shifty ayes wasn't quite right, so next morning we go up into the attic to see what it looks like.

Guess what? Nothing has been cut in the roof. No ridge ventilation!

We get on the phone to estimator / salesman who promised to find out what happened.

His first reply: "Your existing 2 small vents are adequate enough."

"Not good enough" we reply, "because they don't vent fast enough in the summer."

Estimator says he will have a word with the installer.

We get a second message: "the ridge vents were cut only we can't see them."

This treatment of lies finally becomes too tiring so we log on to the Better Business website. Guess what? A tonne of contractual disputes are registered with BB against Hy-Grade roofing, half of them unresolved.

I am posting this for potential customer to be wary of the Hy-Grade Roofing Company of Guelph Ontario.

To Hy-Grade: If you want me to remove this and more such messages, you must live up to the contract - CUT MY RIDGE VENTS!!

Reply to
newroofwanted

You can't remove messages from usenet once they're posted. They'll be floating around forever.

RicodJour

If people can't remember to check the BBB before making a purchase, do you think they will search usenet for a posting.

It's even less likely that anyone from Hy Grade will ever see or hear of this post unless you tell them to look. I sure don't search for negative comments about my company (there should be none anyway)

Reply to
PipeDown

Since you are in Canada I am not sure how your legal system works but her in the USA we have a small claims court. Since you have a contract in writing, you will win the case. Before you file for court, I'd tell the guy to SHOW YOU the vents he claims were installed. If he refuses, or can not prove they exist, go to court.

Reply to
maradcliff

replying to newroofwanted, jon wrote: part of your article isn't true as the vent that's installed ( not the ridge vent ) on the roof is to ventilate your attic .. as holes are cut into your old roof let the air flow out through your new roof I am sorry to hear about your misfortune ! but don't say things about ventilation if u don't understand them I am a roofer myself and nothing is more disturbing then having the home owner tell the roofer how to put a roof on !

Reply to
jon

nothing is more disturbing then having the home

replies to 10 year old posts are also disturbing

Reply to
makolber

replying to newroofwanted, Steve wrote: Thank you for taking the time to write this I was going to ask them for a quote but not now.

Reply to
Steve

replying to newroofwanted, Sameboat12yearslater! wrote: Looks like the Facebook page Hy-grade steel roofing disasters came across this post

Reply to
Sameboat12yearslater!