HVLP sprayer questions

Hi all,

Thinking of purchasing a HVLP sprayer and am wondering about a few things... basically just how useful it will be..

Can it be used to paint something as fine as house trim (with some overspray?)

Easy to clean ... well .. easier than the crappy Wagner?

TIA

Mike

Reply to
MikeM

I don't believe you could thin out latex enough to get thru a gun designed for automotive finishes. I have the top of the line wagner and it works great.I also have a HVLP gun for automtovie work but would never consider putting latex thru it.

Reply to
Randd01

HLVP's are great for latex, make sure you use a conditioner to make it flow. It's called Floteral or something

Is their such a thing as a top of the line Wagner???

Reply to
joe

what kind of HVLP gun for auto work, what brand, cost?? i am interestecd in doing some auto painting and the old one hp, sears compressor is not too good a spraying anything other than filling up the tires on the car.

Reply to
jim

My spray gun is a Blue Point made by Snap On bought it quite awhile ago for like $200. I'm not sure what the requirements are for air on it but it you go the the web site they should have that info. The Wagner gun I have cost about $250 and does a nice job for house painting . I would never use it to paint anything but wood with anythign but latex.

Reply to
Randd01

There are two different style guns that work as High Volume Low Pressure guns.

One style uses a compressor and a 1/4" NPT air hose connection. It does require a healthy compressor to produce the CFM volume requirements of the gun, which average around 10 CFM @ 40 PSI. A good inline dryer is also needed with this type gun.

The most efficient HVLP guns use a turbine and not a compressor. The air supply hose is aprox 3/4" ID and the turbine supplies warm dry air at low pressure with plenty CFM (volume).

Like everything else, the guns vary in price and performance. Several tips are available to apply everything from thin bodied stains to Mulicolor fleck type commerical latex wall coatings.

When applying latex paints, a good high quality paint is important. The paint must have very fine ground solids for good performance in this type of gun. While cheaper paints will work they are both hard on the gun & tips as well as poor performers with regard to final results.

As has been said here many times, these guns are not for painting homes or other large surfaces.

J.P.

Reply to
TinMan1332