HVLP Gun For Multiple Uses?

Hello to all;
I have several needs and am wondering if an HVLP gun for use with my compressor will do them all. I'm pretty sure the compressor is big enough for the gun.
I live in Arizona and need to treat some rustic lumber for UV. Its so rustic, and there is quite a bit so a brush won't work, and its part of the house so I need to be real careful about overspray.
I also have about 150' of wrought iron fence around the back yard pool that needs a new coat of black enamel.
And last, I am an intermediate skilled woodworker and would like to use the gun for finishes on shop projects.
The local BORG had a HVLP Campbell H. brand gravity fed gun for about $80 bucks. Has anyone had any experience with this gun? Am I barking up the wrong tree?
Any help is greatly appreciated. - Jim
Both Jeff Jewitt, homesyeadfinishing.com, and Jeff Weiss, targetfinishes.com, have forums and know a LOT about guns. Jewitt is a finish designer/restorer/author/teacher and Weiss makes waterbased finishes. Jewitt has search on his site enabling a narrow way to read on topic.
On 31 Aug 2003 18:32:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ckcapital.com (James E. Carroll) wrote:

A HVLP conversion gun working with a compressor equal to or greater then it's requirements for both PSI and especially CFM will do what you want.
However, for doing large jobs such as you fence, you may find the limited volume of a gravity feed cup a bit frustrating.
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
<< I live in Arizona and need to treat some rustic lumber for UV. Its so rustic, and there is quite a bit so a brush won't work, and its part of the house so I need to be real careful about overspray. >>
Consider renting a real HVLP unit, compressor and gun, especially a GRACO unit. Then buy the Borg special and use it. After comparing the two, you will probably want to peddle the cheapo on eBay. Use Rustoleum spray cans on the pool fence while you're building up your cash cache for your own GRACO for the shop. You'll need your regular compressor for the finish nailer and stuff like that. Good tools are an important part of quality work. HTH
Joe
On 31 Aug 2003 18:32:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ckcapital.com (James E. Carroll) wrote (with possible editing):

First of all, you are talking about what's called a "conversion gun" - it runs off high pressure as opposed to a turbine. Typically, you want a 5 hp or better compressor.
An HVLP gun will do all you've listed, but you may need to change tips - the assembly consisting of the spray tip and possibly the needle valve.
Strictly personal experience, but I think the cheap guns aren't worth much. Here I use an Asturo - bought from Jeff Jewitt - expensive gun and it does beautiful work.
For large projects, you should have a pressure pot - holds more material and, since the feed is pressurized, you can spray in any position. The downside is that it's just one more thing to clean. The upside to the downside is that it's easy to clean!
If I were doing a fence, I'd use an airless. I have one, but if I didn't I'd rent one.
I'll second Bob's advice - ask on the forums.
-- Larry snipped-for-privacy@lmr.com