HVAC smell question...

I have a Goodman Mfg. model PHK036-1 unit. Here is a link to the unit on their web site.
http://www.goodmanmfg.com/consumer/selectSub.act?sub=Series68&requestedSite=Goodman
It was installed approximately 1.5 years ago in an 1800 sf new home. Several months ago we started noticing a strange smell in the house. Over the last couple of months the odor has grown consistently worse. It is almost a cross between a mildew and a sewage smell. It is at its worst when the HVAC unit is running. I'm trying to determine if it is from the unit itself or it is just worse because the air is being circulated.
The water from the unit appears to drain from it adequately but the landscaping around the unit doesn't allow the water to drain easily away from the concrete slab the unit is sitting on. Could the smell be coming from the small pond of water around the unit? Or is this water around it normal?
The unit also does not heat very well in the winter months. Is this unit sized properly for this size of house? Or is it just the nature of how a heat pump works? Should I look at getting a different style of unit? Any recommendations? I live in the northern half of Alabama.
I know very little about HVAC units so any ideas or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks!

The smell is inside the home. The water outside has nothing to do with the smell. It is time to take the air handler apart and see what is going on. My guess is it is not draining completely. Sounds like mold growing somewhere in the system. As for the heating it is hard to tell over the internet.. Heat pumps do not work well under 40 F outside. You might be able to put some electric booster heat in the air handler. But that would not be my first choice with the cost of electricity. Call a pro and have the problems diagnosed

Means nothing...Goodman is garbage no matter what the model..period. I mean...I even went and got the factory manual..nothing in it, that isnt already known to the pros about them..

Does it start to go away after the units run for a while...say..15 to 20 minutes? Also...1.5 years ago...you have had it serviced in the last 6 months or so right? If not, you may be experencing DSS, or Dirty Sock Syndrome. Common in the southern states in particular...but can happen anywhere, at any time.

The water is condensation...pretty normal since the other job of the ac is to dehumidify.

What did your manual T say? Manual T is for sizing heat pumps.

Depends. Did they install electric backup heat? If they did, was it the correct size?

Call a licenced professional, and expect to pay for a manual T, and a complete service...ten to one, you find that the smell is from the evap coil, and tons of crud on, or in it. ITs there from lack of service, since when you service a unit each season, you get this muck cleaned off it.

This is Turtle.
Hey CB you need to take a chill pill and relax here a bit. I thought you was going to have a Heart Attack before I finished reading your post. I have a Rubber Green Turtle that will walk around and Sing a Song that Goes like this. You Got to slow down and Smell the Flowers. You got to slow down and take it easy. You got to slow down and live your life.
Your getting too wire up over a simple smell and a Goodman Package unit.
TURTLE

HUH?
I thought I was forward, and to the point..
Damn..
I guess next time I need to say..
It might be...and fall alsleep..:)

A walking rubber green turtle that sings, I have a singing fish and a joke telling duck and a jumping singing lobster. Never saw a singing turtle though. Except on the Nikon commercial. Best was the Budweiser frogs
The smell is likely mold in the A coil area and maybe on the A coil. That is inside your house where the furnace blows air through the AC coil. If you can get a look in there its a good idea to see what is growing. Your drain pain may not be draining right also. A pro should clean your coil , dont use bleach ive been told.
Is your unit Sized right ? A pro needs to do a load calculation, You would be smart to get a ck up and clean. And review insulation and windows before thinking about a bigger unit. A bigger unit costs more to operate every day . Windows and insulation save money every day
Thanks for the help! I am going to get a service tech out and have the unit checked out. I just wanted to make sure it was probably related to it before I did.
Thanks again for the quick responses!

This is Turtle.
Have him bring a Bottle of Bio Fresh-cd with him for you to use on the smells and also any mole that maybe causing the problem. At most any HVAC supply houses they have this stuff.
Now the smell can be caused by any number of things and he needs to check them out.
TURTLE