HVAC question - Heat pump compressor

I have a 15 year old FHP geothermal heat pump, the compressor won't start. In heat mode there is a slight humming, and every 30 seconds or so louder buzzing noise for a few seconds. The compressor is getting 220V to the contacts, the resistance between the then is in the range of 3 to 7 amps. I tested the start capacitor with a simple DMM using a resistance and volt modes, seems to work as it should. Any ideas? Time for a new heat pump? Should I try a new start capacitor anyway?
On 2/20/2011 3:52 PM, John wrote:

A simple DMM can not test the start capacitor. Either use a real piece of test equipment or take a chance and buy a new cap.

Tony,
A new cap and a hard start kit got the compressor running again, I appreciate your help.
John

Huh? I don't think you meant to write what you wrote there!
On 2/21/2011 3:14 PM, Malcolm Hoar wrote:

I'm still trying to figure that out. Maybe sarcastic? Nothing else makes sense.
John wrote:

The compressor is getting

WTF does THAT mean please?
I tested the start capacitor with a simple DMM using a

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Yes, I meant ohms not amps on the motor windings. Thanks for pointing it out so eloquently:)
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/HVAC-question-Heat-pump-compressor-622342-.htm Alex Hyden wrote:
John wrote:

I found this article that may be helpful in answering your questions. I hope you get everything figured out! http://bit.ly/HVACProblems
How old is the heat pump and what model is it? What part of the country do you live? Let me know if you need heat pump prices. Thanks
~James
http://www.acoverstock.com/heat-pump-prices