HVAC question - Heat pump compressor

I have a 15 year old FHP geothermal heat pump, the compressor won't start. In heat mode there is a slight humming, and every 30 seconds or so louder buzzing noise for a few seconds. The compressor is getting

220V to the contacts, the resistance between the then is in the range of 3 to 7 amps. I tested the start capacitor with a simple DMM using a resistance and volt modes, seems to work as it should. Any ideas? Time for a new heat pump? Should I try a new start capacitor anyway?
Reply to
John

A simple DMM can not test the start capacitor. Either use a real piece of test equipment or take a chance and buy a new cap.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

The compressor is getting

WTF does THAT mean please?

I tested the start capacitor with a simple DMM using a

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Tony,

A new cap and a hard start kit got the compressor running again, I appreciate your help.

John

Reply to
John

Yes, I meant ohms not amps on the motor windings. Thanks for pointing it out so eloquently:)

Reply to
John

Huh? I don't think you meant to write what you wrote there!

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

I'm still trying to figure that out. Maybe sarcastic? Nothing else makes sense.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

I found this article that may be helpful in answering your questions. I hope you get everything figured out!

Alex Hyden

How old is the heat pump and what model is it? What part of the country do you live? Let me know if you need heat pump prices. Thanks

~James

> I have a 15 year old FHP geothermal heat pump, the compressor won't

Reply to
James