Hvac question, do I clean the evaporator if I have access to it?

As you can tell from the question, I am not an HVAC person, but I recently discovered a rather significant cold air loss in my attic due to a shoddy job of evaporator replacement a few years ago. No telling how much money I have thrown down the drain cooling my attic!
Anyway, I'm up there doing some cleanup and a little sheet metal work to seal this beast off again, and I wonder if I should do anything to clean the evaporator while I am in there? right now, I can't tell how dirty it is if any because it was kind of frosty, but I have turned the unit off and will go check shortly.
If I do clean it, what should I use? Personally I'm guessing that I should leave it alone, but want to hear from experts. And I know I should hire a professional to do this, but I'm not completely inept, however I am completely broke.
--
Maury French
snipped-for-privacy@HAMNOSPAMcmf-enterprises.com
CMF wrote:

then hose it off.... that ought to get off any mold that formed on it...
jim wrote:

If there is any chance of a leak you DO NOT want to bring bleach near it. bleach can combine with various chemicals and produce some lethal gases in a flash! Stay away from bleach, really!
Vacumn the thing out as best you can, get a moderate brush and brush it inline with the fins unless they are the tinfoil things that look like Christmas tree dressings. in that case, just vacumn what you can and maybe try reversing the vacumn to a blower and blowing the rest off if possible, But normally, just a wipe with a damp cloth will pick up a lot of junk. Beyond that, you need a professional to do it. they have the tools and experience. Hire a different guy than the last one, as he apparently does poor work. Eric B.
CMF wrote:

to it.. then take the back cover off the box in the light fixture(its gonna be plastic) and there is a small fuse in it... go to radio shack and get a replacement for it(about four in a pack for $2.50) and replace it.. it probably blew with the power outage.. mine did.... real cheap fix. and then you have 3 fuses left over for other things that might go bad if you can find them when needed....

Mr. kjpro,
This is quite interesting. I see your replies to jim here, but I never saw these particular responses from jim, both of which I assume were not meant for me. Can your newsgroup server/reader be giving you headaches? That asked, did anyone else get these messages from Jim?
Actually, it kind of stole my thunder. I was going to come back with a thanks for your responses, but I used a pressure washer post and see who bit.....
CMF wrote:

airflow heat load on it! All of the lint and scum will be on the air intake side of the coil. Check to see of the blower wheel blades are dirty! Use a good evaporator coil cleaning fluid. Take the blower out and clean the blower too. -D
--
Get the Cooling Capacity and Efficiency you Paid for -
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditioner-capacity-seer.html

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus