HVAC Question - Basement Finish

Hello All;
I am about to finish my basement and have 2 strange sheet metal hvac runs.. they come out of the main stack on the furnace - same size openings then for some reason they cross over one another.. ie.. the left side comes out and crosses under the right side.. anyway I want to rework the ducts so they are more effecient.. ie.. the left stays left and the right stays right.. anyway.. is it worthwhile to replace the sheet metal with the flexible stuff or should I tape (sometheing that was not done when the house was built 2 years ago) the ducts and rework the sheet metal. There will be a drywall ceiling - that I am contimplating insulating.. thats another question can I stuff insulation around the duct work or should I just leave it?
thanks!
jim

runs..
for
are
stuff
This is Turtle.
1) the Two ducts that comes off the furnace do have areas to service and without looking at it myself. I would say leave them where they are and not use cheap flex to replace good stuff. Never take sheet metal out and replace with flex duct.
2) Tape up / repair the sheet metal ducts and use them.
3) If the ducts are in a room or area that is to be heating or cooled. Insulating them would do very little good for the lost of heat or cool would just be sent to the living area anyway. Now if they are not in a heated or cooled area. Do insulate them real good and do insulate with good insulation as much as possible.
4) If your going to cover the ducts with a dry wall ceiling or wall. Do a very good job repairing the duct before you cover them for you may never get another change to repair them after the dry wall is in place.
TURTLE
I doubt any of us can make your decision for you. We need to know what is the furnace make and model, the BTU's, how many existing runs, and how large are the runs you're dealing with. How many elbows or corners and how long of runs. It's all kinda complicated.
Since you are planning to put up a drywall ceiling, you might want to call in a HVAC guy with experience in duct work, to get it right. Don't want to have to tear out the ceiling to fix something later.
Or change the ceiling to 2 by 4 foot tiles. Drop ceiling.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

runs..
for
are
stuff
Dear CB, Thank you for agreeing with me. You and I both illustrated the points nicely, which is that we can't make that decision over the internet. I'm glad we're finally friends.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

is
long
Bad day at work? We're friends, remember?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

Well, I did have a diet coke today. For a Mormon, that's hard stuff.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus