HVAC question

It is 27 degrees F outside and my thermostat is set at 68 F. Currently my HVAC unit (air forced heat pump) is pushing out 76 F. I'm using a thermometer that is usually in my refrigerator.
Should I have someone check my refrigerant?
Thanks in advance.
--
Scall5

If you are getting an 8 degree delta with an ambient of 27 on the evaporator you are doing better than I would expect.

i agree. mine switches over to gas at 35 degrees.
--
Steve Barker
Scall5 wrote:

No.
If you put the thermostat at "X", your HVAC system does not put out "X" degrees. It puts out as hot (or as cold) as it can until the ROOM temperature reaches "X".
Scall5 wrote:

If it's 27F where you are right now, in the 3'rd week of November, I question why you have a heat pump instead of a natural-gas fired furnace.
Did you have this heat pump last winter? How cold was the outside temp last January?

That's a good point. Unless it's geothermal based, but doesn't sound like it is. I would agree that an air based heat pump doesn't sound too practical in an area where it's already 27F.

If the message time was correct (around midnight) that is not too cold for this time of year in many places that use air based heat pumps. I live in the middle of North Carolina and it hit around that last night. Have a heat pump and are very happy with the cost to run it. It does not usually stay that low for many days in the winter. I used to live in a house that was half the size of the one I am in now that had a gas fired system. The gas bill alone was more than the total electric bill is in this house. I do have to admitt it is beter insulated.
Now if that is in the middle of the day, then it might be a very cold area of the country and not too good for a heat pump.

This seems to be an unusual temperature patern . It was about 26 deg F this morning, but 55 deg at 3 PM. It is suspose to get to 70 or slightly above in a few days. I moved in this house about 7 years ago and it has a fireplace. I want to just use it when the family is over for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Sofar, I have only done that twice at Christmas. Just too hot in the house for it. A good number of years ago, it was abut 7 deg F on Christmas, but that is also unusual for this part of the country. Sofar summer or winter, the temperature has never been more than one deg off on the heat pump thermostat. That is unless I have it for heat and set for 70 and it gets several deg above that due to the sun heating things up. The heat pump is not running during that time. It is a manual switch over from heat to cool.

No. You should move. 27F is much too cold for this time of the year.
I haven't turned on my heat pumps yet. Going by the extended forecast I likely won't have to until December.

You're welcome.