HVAC Not Cooling, sometimes.

Page 1 of 2
I have a new 4 ton A/C and gas furnace installed in Jan 2015 by a contractor. This replaced a Colman 4 ton that I installed myself about 25 years ago. The new A/C Condensing Unit is a Trane 4 ton 4TTR3018-60. The A/C has been running all summer with out a problem.
Today, after being off for a couple of hours, it started up and the following happened:
(1) the house lights blinked for about 1/4 to 1/2 second.
(2) the condensing unit ran twice as loud with more vibration as it normally does for about a couple of minutes and then it resumed its normal noise/vibration level.
(3) During the time it was running, there was absolutely no cooling. The temperature at the bonnet was the same as the temperature at the return air duct.
I shut the A/C down by adjusting the thermostat up and called the service tech who is coming tomorrow morning. After waiting an hour, I dropped the thermostat and it started right up with no lights blinking. The bonnet is running about 14-16 degrees cooler than the return duct which is normal.
When I read the specs for the compressor, it says the following:
"The Climatuff® compressor features internal over temperature and pressure protector, total dipped hermetic motor and thermostatically controlled sump heater. Other features include: roto lock suction and discharge refrigeration connections, centrifugal oil pump, and low vibration and noise."
Question: Is it possible that the compressor detected a problem and just shut down but the Condensing Unit fan would still keep running? Also would a 1/4 to 1/2 second blinking of the lights be symptomatic of the problem?
On 8/24/2015 5:08 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

Without being there, I'm not getting any big ideas what might be wrong. My first thought was dusty condenser, but that's unlikely on a unit less than a year old.
Be interesting, see what the tech finds. Please follow up on this list, we can learn from you. Thank you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, August 24, 2015 at 7:26:00 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

actor.

. The new

ing all

lowing

mally

air duct.

ce tech

ermostat

about

ssure

sump

ration

t shut

wonder if the air filter is clogged?
bob haller wrote:

I have a Dust Eater filter that was back washed about 10 days ago. In any event, the Condensing Unit (probably the compressor) had a problem as soon as it started so I don't think the filter came into play.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Here is what the tech said:
While it is possible that there was a temporary power failure that caused all of the compressor racket, the more likely problem was a stuck TXV valve in the A coil as described in the links below.
Starting in 2014, Copeland, who makes the compressor, started adding a rust inhibitor to the compressor. The inhibitor had the consequence of occasionally freezing the TXV valve thus preventing any circulation in the system. When the TXV valve freezes, it causes the compressor to struggle and finally shut down.
The solution is to add a cleaning fluid of some kind (A/C Re-New ?) to the system and run it for 48 hours to get rid of the anti rust inhibitor and free up the TXV valve. If the TXV valve is still frozen, then the TXV valve has to be replaced.
The tech said keep an eye on it and if it happens again, they will come out and flush the system and replace the TXV valve if that is necessary.
Here are some relevant links:
Explanation of Problem
https://www.reddit.com/r/HVAC/comments/2fike4/update_r410a_txv_failings_across_many_brands/
Copeland Lawsuit
http://www.chimicles.com/thermostatic-expansion-valve-txv-tev-tx-and-copeland-scroll-defect-lawsuit
Youtube Video How to Fix. Includes about about 140 comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amo2eRlYrzg

On 8/25/2015 10:53 AM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

Sounds like a tech who keeps up to date a lot more than I do. Please keep his company number, and reccomend him to all your friends. Good person to have on the rolodex.
And, thank you for sharing with us.
On 8/24/15 5:08 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

What if you lost power for 1/2 second from a squirrel playing on the line of a train hitting a utility tower? Maybe the noise you heard was not the condenser fan but the compressor trying to resume operation against too much pressure. In a couple of minutes, a protection device shut off the compressor because of heat or pressure.
J Burns wrote:

It seemed like something like that might have happened BUT the noise and vibration started exactly when the A/C started. The noise I hard was probably from the compressor trying to start after being off for at least a couple of hours. I had set the thermostat up a couple of degrees in the morning because it was a nice day and we opened the doors. In the afternoon, it got hot so I closed the doors and lowered the thermostat and that's when the lights blinked at the same time as the compressor tried to start.
On 8/24/15 8:41 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

I've had my refrigerator compressor overheat and shut off because of a power interruption, but the interruption occurred after it was running.
I don't know how many amps it take to trip a momentary interrupter on a power line. Maybe there happened to be an exceptional load on the line at that instant. Your compressor was enough to trip the power company's device, and your lights flickered.
J Burns wrote:

In our neighborhood, we have drop down fuses that will disconnect the transformer if there is a high current problem. Then you have to call the utility to come out and close the fuse. No momentary interrupters that I know of unless there is something at the sub-station (2 miles from my house) that does a momentary interruption.
On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 22:29:12 -0400, Arnie Goetchius

If they are switching power around the grid, you can get little "blinks" of the lights. (up to a couple seconds). That is why the UPS is such a popular thing.
On 8/24/15 10:29 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

http://www.oncor.com/EN/Pages/Common-Utility-Terms.aspx
This says a fuse must be replaced if it disconnects the circuit. It says the small circuit breaker on a distribution lines is a recloser.
When a pecan limb fell onto bare distribution wires behind my house, lights in the neighborhood blinked. I imagine that was the recloser across the street. If the limb had kept the lines pressed together, the lever on the recloser would have popped down and a guy with a long pole would have had to come to reset it.

Reclosers usually reset themselves (AKA automatic recloser). That is why you may see it come on a couple times before it stays off.
On 8/24/2015 10:29 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

We have that at least once a month on one of the phases. Drops out the one AC, TV box will have to reboot. PITA, but no damage.
On 8/25/15 10:29 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Does it reclose, or do you call the man with the pole?
J Burns wrote:

I have to call the man with the pole. When I call, I tell that I am out there with my tree trimmer and is it okay if I do it myself. Of course, they scream at me No! No! and send their own pole guy out IMMEDIATELY!!
On 8/25/15 11:22 AM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

I was mistaken. In my neighborhood, the power-company guy brings one of the Flying Wallendas, who walk on only one wire at a time. I thought that was a Polish name, but it's German.
On 8/25/2015 11:17 AM, J Burns wrote:

Drops and goes back by itself. Just goes out long enough to cause things to stop.
On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 17:08:41 -0400, Arnie Goetchius

Does it have a restart lockout timer to prevent the compressor from short cycling? If not, it may have been liquid slugged and overheated. Letting it settle for a while got it working again and I hope you didn't really hurt anything.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The thermostat has a lockout timer so you can't turn it on and then off and then right back on. I think the timer prevents a restart from happening for 3-5 minutes.