HVAC help

I stumbled upon your website and loved it. My carrier weathermaker quit working. It is about 14 years old. I went outside and there is a loud hum and the fan is not running. I spun the fan with a screwdriver and it came on, but still barely spun. It did not spin like normal. I pulled the power disconnect and still heard the buzzing. I turned off the thermostat and the buzzing finally stopped. I took the cover off and turned the thermostat back on, the buzzing was coming from a relay. Honeywell DP204DA5003 coil 24v 50 hz 24 v 60 hz.

Am I to assume this relay is bad? I appreciate any help. My family is sweating and tomorrow is a holiday so I am not sure what I am going to do.

I have a small unit to my bonus room. It is a different brand unit. I am not sure if the relay out of there would work or not.

I appreciate any help!

Reply to
stryped

If it was my unit, I would check the motor start capacitor. It is probably a dual unit that starts the compressor and the fan. It is usually a little round or oval canister with wires that are on connectors that push on to the capacitor. They can be purchased for probably under $20 at Graingers or a supply house. You could just try replacing it if you have no way to test it. Might save you a service call. Its a gamble . Make sure you mark the position of the wires when you take them off so you know where they go on the new one and turn off the power at the breaker box before you mess with it.

Good luck R

Reply to
Roanin

The first thing you need to do is test the capacitor of the fan motor and to do this you will need this tool.

If the problem is not the capacitor then you will need to replace the fan motor. Ignore the buzzing sound, that's normal.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Glad you like it.

I'll let my staff handle your question. Let me know if they don't give you a prompt, courteous, and accurate answer.

- The Management -

Reply to
Home Guy

So you think it is the capacitor? What do i test from here?

Reply to
stryped

First, check the power relay for burnt points or poor contact. With the unit energized, push hard on the relay's contacts. If the fan starts, remove the relay (noting where all the wires go), take the relay to Grainger's (or similar) and say: "Gimmie one like this."

If the relay is not the problem, remove the capacitor, take the capacitor to Grainger's (or similar). Say: "Gimmie one like this." Install the new capacitor.

If a new capacitor doesn't fix the problem, remove the fan, then the blades (noting up and down). Take the motor to Grainger's (or similar) and say: "Gimmie one like this."

Reply to
HeyBub

I strongly suggest one understand basic electrical circuits and safety before screwing around with 240V with a live circuit. If you push on that relay with fingers you could wind up dead.

I would start with a meter and find out what has power and what doesn't. If the relay is energized and there is 240V on the supply side and not on the load side, then it's a bad relay. But it could be many things and unless the OP knows what they are doing, I'd suggest calling a pro.

.
Reply to
trader4

Agreed!! Also, since the relay is most likely in the same box as the fan, if he messes with the relay and the fan starts, he may get his arm badky damaged. Relay humming, even fairly loud, is normal. The OP, with the power turned off needs to see if the fan turns easily, if so, that says the bearings are probably ok. If he masures 230V going to the motor from the relay, then it looks like the motor is the culprit.

Reply to
hrhofmann

stryped wrote in news:14f9ece8-66b9-4d21-8f3a-5ac7f2f8e990 @f14g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

Post on alt.hvac instead.

Reply to
Doug Miller

If he does post on alt.hvac, he'll give up totally on diagnosing his problem and buy a pig farm far, far away.

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:_dOdnWJmWcol1VjSnZ2dnUVZ_h- snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I'm not seeing a downside there....

Reply to
Doug Miller

You can post there, just don't expect typical "help".

Some there will try to fill the DIY'er with doubt, and only encourage you to call a pro.

I found the web site eHow.com to have helpful information.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

> [...]

I know. That suggestion was intended as a subtle way of telling stryped to go away. Google his other posts in alt.home.repair and rec.crafts.metalworking, and you'll see why.

Reply to
Doug Miller