HVAC Hard start cap question

I have a Goodman Unit clj30. I had a service call from a local plumbing /HVACcompany.
The senior HVAC tech told me I needed a hard start capacitor kit to improve the 'efficiency'. The local plumbing outfit (GEM plumbing) wanted to charge me $400.00 a piece for just the part. I said no, and promptly did a google search. Seems they wanted to charge me a 1000% markup.
Questions:
What does a hard start capacitor have to do with efficiency?
Is this a part I can install myself? He did a test with one, and he installed/removed it pretty quick.
Thanks for your time.

improve
charge
google
Sounds like you got a company that pays commissions to the techs.
Hard start just has more power to turn the compressor over.
Yes you can pick up one and install it your self. Be careful the charged capisitors have a hidden wake up call inside. Best to disconnect all of the wiring then ground them out before handling. Unless of course you like those wake up calls.

This is Turtle
CLJ-30 is one of Goodmans newer model numbers and might be still under the 10 year warranty on the compressor. When you see a goodman non-scroll compressor start out of the blue needing a hard-start kit. You will be changing the compressor in less than 2 years. The Compressor is just warning you about a up coming event.
Gem wanting $400.00 for Sex is just too high. Anybody all over will give you this Retail for $50.00 or $75.00 or so. Now they have the useless SPP-1 for about $15.00. You need a SPP-6 or Up.
A Hard start kit is not hard to install at all if you know what your doing.
TURTLE

plumbing
improve
to charge

google
Yeah, you can install it yourself if you're handy. Just make sure you lock out all the power to the outdoor unit. Like the name says, just makes the compressor easier to start...
.

plumbing
improve
to charge

google
http://arnoldservice.com/compressor_hard_start_boosters.htm

plumbing
improve
to charge

google
But before you do all that, WHY did he say you needed one? Any symptoms of hard starting?
He said that the compressor was not starting. Now, he was screwing with something on the unit at the time. He put on the hard-start unit, the compressor started fine, then told me about the $400.00 part. I said 'I don't think so', and he took the part off. Seems to be starting fine now though. I just want to be safe, but there was no way I was paying $400.00 for a $40.00 part.

It does not make it more efficient, that is a bald faced lie. All the goodman units I have ever seen (And as a common brand, I see a lot of them), have a pston type metering device. These have the Freon pressures equalze in the off cycle. The only reasons you would need a hard start kit is with a low voltage situation or if the compressor bearings are getting tight. If he is installing it that easily he is using a Superboost, which is not a true hard start kit, but is a start assist. A true hard start kit has a start capacitor and a start relay wired to the compressor. Yeah, the selling price for start assists around here is $25.00 to $75.00 plus labor, depending on the exact model.
Geta new contractor. He will keep feeding you lines till he gets your money. You can bet the tech is on commission.
Stretch

with
the
said 'I

fine now

$400.00
Listen to the wise words of Stretch-sounds like "Gem" is also looking for a gold mine...
Jack writes:

Nothing.
While sometimes indicated, this item is usually an upsell swindle from the service company. Obviously in your case due to the obscene price.

Did you have a problem with the unit starting? if not you don't need the hard start kit. it doesn't have anything to do with efficiency but is needed if the compressor has a starting problem. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail