HVAC damper control question

I am redoing my basement and part of the work involves boxing around ductwork which has a couple of dampers that control the flow to the whole house. I have always left these dampers open, and controlled the flow at the registers upstairs. Is there any reason why I can't just lock these dampers to stay open and just box around the ductwork and bury them? I had thought about putting some kind of access door, but I don't think it would look nice considering the location.
I don't see any particular problem with hiding the dampers, but you might look at these access panels. Fast, quick, cheap, easy and not bad looking: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
--
DanG

Thanks for all the tips but they aren't that bad so I guess I'll live with it for now..The glasses are about 5 years old and I don't have the script as they were made right at the eye doctors..They are invisaline bifocals..I got them right after I had cataract surjury on my right eye...The left one needs it now so I need to go back anyway...Probably do it in the spring...Again thanks everyone...

Sorry..Wrong thread...LOL..

Some pictures might be helpful. There's no code reason that I know of not to cover them.

Not a code reason, but if his HVAC equipment was ever serviced or some sort of imbalance was causing trouble, its better to have access panels than have HVAC technicians cutting into your walls...
The OP knows where those balancing dampers are but will the next owner of the home ?
~~ Evan